SiouxSports.com Forum

New WBB Coach at MSU-Mankato

Siouxatc

I have heard at rumor that a certain WBB coach who is against going DI is going to be the next coach at Mankato. There is a search committee in place at Mankato to replace Ann Walker, who is done at the end of the season. Has anyone else heard any rumors about our beloved (jk) coach from the south moving on to stay in D II? She has been vocal about being against the move to DI.

THis must be a false rumor.  Now I just heard out of Sioux Falls that the SDSU WBB coach is rumored to be the new coach at Mankato.  Sorry for stirring the pot. :)

There was an article in the Mankato paper last week in which the names of Aaron Johnson (SDSU) and Chad Lavin (USD) were mentioned as rumored candidates. I have no idea why either would be interested in moving. It seems doubtful that Mankato would pay better than what they're currently earning. In Johnson's case, possibly being against the dI move would seem to be the only reason for wanting to go to a program that is perennially one of the worst in the NCC.

What I have heard about Coach Johnson of SDSU is that there are two main reasons he is interested in the MSU job.....one, he is from southern Mn, and second he is uncertain about the difficulties of recruiting in d-1 at Brookings. As to the "desirability" of the MSU women's job, I would say it has a lot of potential. After all, it is one of the best facilities in d-2, and any program can be turned around with the right leadership. Look what Laven at South Dakota did. It comes down to recruiting.

I would say that Johnson would be crazy to coach a MSU. Seriously, after his first couple of years and already having a national championship I think the only place he'll go is to a division I program thats not in the transition phase. I'm sure he'll leave SDSU soon, but why would he want to try to rebuild MSU?