SiouxSports.com Forum

Excerpts from Brad Schlossman

The Sicatoka

When I went to record the week UND Insider podcast with Tim Hennessy this week, I told the longtime voice of the North Dakota hockey program that he should enjoy calling this weekend’s games with Miami.

Next time, it may be, “The RedHawks dump the puck in the zone, and it’s picked up by the Fighting Hawks. The RedHawks force a turnover and the Fighting Hawks deflect the puck in the stands.”

Based on what I’ve gathered, the current student body heavily favors Fighting Hawks. The rest of the constituents heavily favor Roughriders.

As I wrote on Twitter earlier this week, I’m astounded that the university can go through this long, complicated process with the goal of finding a unique nickname, only to be the 29th version of a hawk in college athletics.

How common is it?

UND’s weekend features a women’s basketball game against the Hawkeyes on Friday, one against the Skyhawks on Saturday and two hockey games against the RedHawks.

I’m not a fan of Roughriders — it’s hardly unique either — but I’ll probably end up voting for it, anyway, as it’s not as overused as Hawks.

- See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/#sthash.3HxwtBoI.dpuf