SiouxSports.com Forum

UND players and the Draft

ScottM

According to Central Scouting's rankings website Matt Jones is a projected first round choice and Matt Greene is a projected second round pick.  Both have moved up a round since the January rankings.  Parise is no longer ranked, but was formerly a mid-second round choice in January, as he did not opt-in to the 2002 draft.  (For those interested, the same goes for Vanek and Guyer at Minnesota.)  

Nothing useful, but routine off-season prattle.  Fore! :D

I believe the list you are referring to that has Jones in the 1st round and Greene for the 2nd round is ranking North Americans only. When you factor in all the players from the international rankings, players like Jones are likely to drop a bunch of spots and possibly into the next round down or more.

Perhaps I should have clarified my original post for the numbers geeks in the crowd.  :D

As far as I know, Central Scouting does not combine NA and Euro players in its rankings, but merely projects them by round.  Red Line Report might be more integrated, but Central Scouting tends to reflect the thinking of NHL scouts and player personnel types.  Nor am I interested in paying a few hundred bucks for often recycled material.

I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way. I was only making a comment on it.

I think the CSB does the same for both domestic and international players. In other words, it has 30 guys listed as "1st round" for domestic players and 30 guys listed as "1st round" for international players. Since there are only 30 teams, we'll see a mix of players from each top 30 go in the 1st round.

Although the way the draft has been recently, it seems like more European players listed get drafted higher than the North Americans.

No harm, no foul since you're a Sioux fan.  :D

I agree that in consolidated rankings, such as Red Line, that many Euros get ranked higher than most NA players for whatever reason, especially Russians and Czechs.  I think the lack of a consolidated ranking system has to do with the fact that Central Scouting has divided itself between NA scouts, and what is effectively an outsourced European division.

An agent/former scout I deal with told me that they tend to generically attribute different things for the respective groups of players too.  NA players and many Russians are generally viewed as more physical and tougher, grinder types.  Whereas Swedes, Czechs and Slovaks are usally seen as finesse and "skill" players by virtue of the "Torpedo" styles of hockey and larger ice sheets.  Granted that's assuming a great deal without looking at individuals, but I'd guess the stereotypes may carry over into who gets drafted and where.

An integrated ranking system has been discussed, at least over drinks, but I doubt it will be seen very soon.