SiouxSports.com Forum

Future plans for returning to the outdoor field

I was wondering if there has been any signs that we may return to the outdoor football field. I will miss the old hockey arena, but to me the most memerable UND sports complece is the old football stadium. If we don't use the old football stadium that will be gone too. I would suspect it to become a topic in the next few years if not already. I apologize for me spelling.

I was wondering if there has been any signs that we may return to the outdoor football field. I will miss the old hockey arena, but to me the most memerable UND sports complece is the old football stadium. If we don't use the old football stadium that will be gone too. I would suspect it to become a topic in the next few years if not already. I apologize for me spelling.

UND is not going to return to Memorial Field as it currently stands. There is a contract with the Alerus Center for another 9 years I believe. After that it is up in the air. There is some talk about building a new stadium on the current site, some donors are rumored to have an interest. Part of Memorial could be used as a part of a new stadium, but that isn't guaranteed. Nothing concrete is in place. UND could also stay at the Alerus Center for a longer period. It is even possible that the Alerus Center could be remodeled at some point. The field at Memorial isn't going anywhere any time soon. The turf is in good condition. There is a natural turf practice field on the south side of Memorial. It is an advantage to have both natural and artificial turf on which to practice. It is doubtful that UND will go back to an outdoor stadium any time soon. Grand Forks has a lot of Saturdays in the fall that could potentially have bad weather. Bad weather hurts attendance for outdoor stadiums. People in the entire region are spoiled by having indoor football for multiple years.

All of this information, plus more, is available on this forum. You can search the forums very easily at the top of each page. It can give you a lot of information when you have questions.

• Upvote 1