SiouxSports.com Forum

Commodore!

The Sicatoka

I just got my UND Alumni Association and Foundation annual report. (It's like the annual report you get if you own stock in a company.)

Paging through it I noticed that Mike W. Commodore, employed by the Calgary Flames of the NHL, has donated $25,000.00 to UND in the last year.

It was first in the Jan/Feb Alumni Review but there was another, sadder subject that was the focus of that issue so I must have missed it then.

Anyway, big applause to Mike Commodore for the $25-large hit. :silly:

UND is fortunate, in that many of it's former hockey players donate money back to the school.

Erwin Martens is also at the Presidents Cabinet level and Grant Paranica is at the Presidents Club level. I believe Eddie Belfour has sent checks for facility improvements at the old REA. I'm pretty sure quite a few others are donating back to the university also.

Just about all of the former hockey players are very loyal and are a great resource for the recruitment of students to UND. The phone at the hockey office is ringing all the time from hockey alumni around North America. They are calling to see what the latest is with Sioux hockey.

The hockey program has several alumni reunions every year. Coach Blais has commented before on the huge number of former players who travel across the country to attend these gatherings. That is in stark contrast to the Gopher program that can't get former players to travel across town to attend a 75th anniversary Golden Gopher hockey reunion.

Just about all of the former hockey players are very loyal and are a great resource for the recruitment of students to UND.

One of the players I've always admired is Greg Johnson. The guy is total class & usually puts in a good plug for UND when he's interviewed on ESPN...

BTW, Rick, I was wondering how you know so much about the behind-the-scenes happenings in Sioux hockey. Just wondering...