SiouxSports.com Forum

The Star Spangled Banner

dagies

I would like to thank Angie? Harmeson for her excellent rendition of the Star Spangled Banner sung at the Championship game on Sat at the Final Five.

For anyone who has attended a hockey game with me the SSB is a huge gripe of mine.  You have the crowd getting all hyped up from watching warm-ups, the anticipation of the game, the introductions, and then you have the SSB.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too many times we have people wanting to do the "contemporary" version of the SSB, or what I call the Whitney Houston version.  This degradation just sucks the life out of everbody in the arena and by the time the Banner is over you have lost your built up enthusiasm for the start of the game.

I like people who sing this baby up tempo like it is something to be proud off, something to get excited about.  I don't like it prettified.  This is not a pop song, this is our ANTHEM.

Now, I'm not saying that by singing the anthem this way they are disrespecting the anthem.  I'm just saying that I think there is a better way to sing it, especially at a sporting event.  Let's keep this thing up tempo and straight forward.

In contrast are a couple from this weekend.  On Friday night before the MN-SCSU game they had a gal sing it.  It was one of the worst renditions I have ever heard.  Before she was 3/4 of the way through people were starting to yell out all around the arena because no one could pay attention any longer and couldn't wait for her to be done.  At the end of it all you could do is slump in your chair.  There was no way to sing along if you wished.

On Sat night Angie Harmeson sung.  Great job!!!  Straight forward, up-tempo.  Sing along if you like.  And when it was over you still had the enthusiasm for the game that you had before the anthem.

Great job, Angie!  I was proud she was from GF.

Greyeagle were you there on Thurs night?  That women was excellent as well.  So in a way, that is progress, as past tournies I suffered every game.

I wonder if she (SCSU gal) ever grasped that people were tired of hearing her sing on Friday night.