SiouxSports.com Forum

Metro State may cut athletics

elmduf

Metro State may cut athletics

Budget problems at Metro State in Denver are making that school's trustees think of axing their athletic programs. You may remember that they won two D-II Men's Basketball championships recently.

It kind of makes me put the in-fighting that NDSU and UND have over the contract to play football and changes to D-IAA into perspective. After reading this , I'm happy that both schools still have college athetics.

One thing from this article that really sticks out to me is that Metro gets just $35,000 PER YEAR from ticket sales! Granted, they don't have football, and Metro is strictly a commuter school, but that's still an incredibly small amount of ticket sales revenue for an entire basketball season, especially considering how good they've been. With the small budget they have, and the lack of fan support, it's amazing that they've been able to put together such good basketball teams over the years.