SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Ten Expansion Talks Accelerate

star2city

16 teams is supposedly still on the table. Rutgers, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Missouri are reportedly the favorites.

The Big Ten expansion process will accelerate this week in Washington, according to a report in the Chicago Tribune.

Sources tell the Tribune top Big Ten officials will discuss expansion Sunday in Washington, the site of the Association of American Universities meetings.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany confirmed in a text message to ESPN.com he will be attending the AAU meetings. The Tribune reported Northwestern president Morton Schapiro and University of Illinois interim chancellor Robert Easter also will be attending.

ESPN

The BCS meetings take place next week in Phoenix, so the Big Ten could notify other leagues at that time. The Big Ten holds its meetings of coaches and athletics directions May 17-19 in Chicago, and the league's presidents and chancellors meet two weeks later in Chicago.

I think the Big 10 will leave the Big XII alone. Missouri would be a decent addition, but I think they'll look to take the historical BCS programs from the Big East. Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame.

You'd have an East division with pairings of Mich-MSU, OSU-Pitt, Penn St-Rutgers, Syracuse-UConn and a west division with pairings of Ind-Pur, ND-NW, Ill-Iowa, Minn-Wisc.

If Notre Dame can't be pulled in, maybe you see Boston College instead?

Now the Pac 10, on the other hand, I don't think they can leave the Big XII and still expand with reasonable universities. Colorado seems like a lock...but then who after that? Maybe they repeat the Arizona method and take both CU and CSU to lock up Colorado? CSU research spending has probably broken the 300 million mark, very respectful for a school with no med college. Overall, I think they'd be about like Washington State.

I think the Big 10 will leave the Big XII alone. Missouri would be a decent addition, but I think they'll look to take the historical BCS programs from the Big East. Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame.

You'd have an East division with pairings of Mich-MSU, OSU-Pitt, Penn St-Rutgers, Syracuse-UConn and a west division with pairings of Ind-Pur, ND-NW, Ill-Iowa, Minn-Wisc.

If Notre Dame can't be pulled in, maybe you see Boston College instead?

Now the Pac 10, on the other hand, I don't think they can leave the Big XII and still expand with reasonable universities. Colorado seems like a lock...but then who after that? Maybe they repeat the Arizona method and take both CU and CSU to lock up Colorado? CSU research spending has probably broken the 300 million mark, very respectful for a school with no med college. Overall, I think they'd be about like Washington State.

Nothing personal against any Mizzou fans, but my National Merit Scholar daughter went to Mizzou for a year before transferring, I do not think that overall Mizzou can meet the academic rigors of the Big Ten in general. I'd be surprised to see MU in the Big 10.

Nothing personal against any Mizzou fans, but my National Merit Scholar daughter went to Mizzou for a year before transferring, I do not think that overall Mizzou can meet the academic rigors of the Big Ten in general. I'd be surprised to see MU in the Big 10.

Mizzou meets the AAU Big Ten requirements. Mizzou is traditionally on the list of schools where students study the least and are least satisfied with their education.