SiouxSports.com Forum

An NCAA exemption cures all, right?

The Sicatoka

Central Michigan (the Chippewas) has a "tribal approval" NCAA moniker exemption.

That cures everything, right?

http://www.cm-life.com/2009/11/09/action-w...nd-other-talks/

That's just an newspaper editorial. Newspaper editorials carry no weight anymore. I didn't see anything in the article to indicate that a nickname change was even remotely forthcoming.

But to your larger point, tribal approval is not a guarantee that an Indian nickname is safe, but not having tribal approval is a guarantee that it is doomed.

The NCAA could change its policy to "We don't care if you have tribal permission or not."

Nothing is stopping the NCAA from doing that.

You're correct. But then they'd have to deal with Florida State and the bad PR all over again. And the second time around, the PR would be especially bad because the only schools left with Indian nicknames would be schools that have namesake approval. Regardless of whether the NCAA revisits its namesake exemption policy, namesake approval is the the only chance of keeping the nickname and I'd rather give it a chance than give up right now.

Actually i am surprised he didn't but he's dead now.

Brand didn't enact the policy.

The NCAA Executive Committee did. They're still there.

And we know how they think: They tried once before.

And we know how idealists can be persistent.