SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly article on moving to FBS

star2city

Cal Poly to FBS

Even with California's budget crisis, there still is talk of Cal Poly going to the FBS and the WAC. They are considering moving up with only a stadium expansion to slightly more than 15,000 seats. A stadium really needs to be 25-30,000 seats, in order to fiance a move up and periodically host some regional name opponents. For example, Idaho can not gain a non-WAC opponent above the stature of San Diego State. If Idaho had a 30,000 seat outdoor statdium, it could likely host Washington State or Oregon State in a 2-for-1.

I

f it were to move up to the FBS, Cal Poly would have to offer 22 more football scholarships than the 63 it

Kinda sucks for them because there are so few FCS football teams on the west coast. Everything is FBS.

That's probably why they want to join the WAC.

Academically they are mostly undergrad, about the same type of profile as San Jose and Fresno, but smaller and more rural.

They could compete on the field certainly, they just need the money. Not sure if they could attract 15k to meet the minimum though.

Otherwise, there is no point in leaving the Big West.

• 2 months later...

UC-Davis has often been mentioned as a candidate to go FBS. Here's their coach confirming that FBS might be in the plans:

Boise newpaper blog: What is future for UC Davis?

Since UC Davis started its move from Division II to the Division I Football Championship Subdivision in 2003, the program has experienced some tough going. The Aggies, who are famous for their 37 straight winning seasons and 20 straight conference championships, have not won more than six games since making the jump. They have suffered back-to-back losing seasons.

Coach Bob Biggs said the Aggies struggled to compete as they gradually moved from 12 scholarships in Division II to 56 scholarships this year.

"What we haven't been able to do is get the depth," he said.

That's starting to change, he said

Sacramento Bee: Why can't UC Davis be Boise State?

"Having played a few I-AA teams when we were D-II," UC Davis coach Bob Biggs said, "I thought we would be able to make the transition and be in the playoffs maybe a little quicker."

Unfortunately for UC Davis, this hasn't been the case.

After 37 consecutive winning seasons at the Division II level, the Aggies (1-2) went 5-6 and 5-7 in their first two Division I campaigns.

Why can't a team that had so much success for such a long time make a more seamless transition to the next level? What has been the problem? In short, why can't UC Davis be more like, well, Boise State? Simply put, times have changed. It isn't 1996 anymore, when Boise State (4-0) made its transition from the FCS to FBS level. Given today's economy, it's harder for a university to move up a level and take the steps necessary to contend.

"There's tremendous expenditures tied to those steps today versus 14 years ago," UC Davis athletic director Greg Warzecka said. "It was a better time for growth then. It's harder today to make those types of significant jumps when it requires building new facilities and jumping into a world where you have to offer more scholarships.

"We're not naive. We understand that our progress and our success is based on two things: facilities and money."