SiouxSports.com Forum

U.S. falls to Russia, needs to beat Swiss (incorrect)

krangodance

you can read the story here:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=50529

this is not true. if the u.s. loses to switzerland, then there will be at least a three way tie between the u.s., switzerland, and latvia. i say at least because if france can find a way to upset sweden, then sweden would be involved in that tie as well, making it a four way tie.

in either case, there would be a round-robin of wins, which would mean goal differential would be used as the tie-breaker. considering the u.s. currently has a gd of +2 and the swiss have a gd of -5, they would have to beat us by at least seven goals before they'd have a chance of making it to the quarter-finals.

more than likely, the four teams from our group who advance will be russia, sweden, u.s.a., and latvia. in fact, if the u.s. beats the swiss and sweden does find a way to actually lose to lowly france, then the u.s. would finish 2nd in the group.

sweden won.

as long as the u.s. either wins or loses by six goals or less, we're in the quarterfinals.

my bad. i didn't consider that our gd would go down as their's goes up.

we currently have a gd of +2, latvia is +1 and the swiss are -5. based on that, here's where the u.s. finishes depending on what happens:

win: 3rd place

lose by 1: 3rd

lose by 2: 4th

lose by 3: 4th

lose by 4 or more: 5th

basically, we have to either win or lose by three or less to make the quarterfinals.

i know, i'm having an arguement with myself here.