SiouxSports.com Forum

New President Home

GeauxSioux

A signal moment for cooperation

A single donation will fund construction of new presidents' homes at North Dakota's two research universities, in what the director of UND's fundraising arm has called a signal moment for cooperation between the two schools.

William Marcil, chief executive officer of Forum Communications Co. and his wife, Jane, said this week they'd donated $1 million each to fund presidents' homes at UND and North Dakota State University in Fargo.

The couple had long wanted to make a joint donation to the two universities, and when the schools' foundations announced in September they both planned to build new homes for their leaders, it seemed like the right opportunity.

Thank you Mr. Marcil.

Cold delays construction of UND president's house

Life in North Dakota lesson No. 1 for UND's next president when he arrives: In the battle between work and weather, sometimes the weather wins - at least for awhile.

Demolition on the current UND president's house began in November. And the school's facilities staff had planned to have the home up and running by July 1 when University of Wyoming Health Sciences Dean Robert Kelley is scheduled to succeed Charles Kupchella as the school's next president.

A signal moment for cooperation

Thank you Mr. Marcil.

It's a good thing that Marcil bailed out the alumni board of trustees. There are a plenty of donors that think that donations should go to help the students and not the faculty.

For my part I still would never give money to the University unencumbered. My money's going for scholarships.