SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 ND High School Hockey

riders06

Grafton wont even come close to competing with RR. With their goaltending this year they dont have a chance. Granted RR probably wont go undefeated with FS and Roseau on their schedule. But i dont see Grafton posing a threat to them unless they get some better players between the pipes.

Last I checked Grafton beat RR last year and the game they lost to them was very close. Last years goalie was supposedly supposed to be weak too. So lets wait and see what happens. I also believe there won't be a team in the state that will be able to effectively contain grafton's first two lines.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say there won't be teams in the state that can't contain Grafton's first two lines. I know that Red River should have the depth in order to contain them, and especially with Ladoucer and Galbreath coming back this season. Fargo South should have the offense to dish it right back at Grafton, but the ? is if they'll have the defense to contain the first 2 lines, which would support your statement. But with a weak goalie, a strong offense (Like South will have) can kill a team with a weak goalie (If GPR doesn't show a good goaltender).

Red River has 8 returning forwards including Alex Simonson, 4 returning defensemen, and the top goalie in the state. The only teams that I see Red River having some trouble with are Roseau and Bloomington Jefferson. I don't think a team from North Dakota will play them to a close game.

Grafton wont even come close to competing with RR. With their goaltending this year they dont have a chance. Granted RR probably wont go undefeated with FS and Roseau on their schedule. But i dont see Grafton posing a threat to them unless they get some better players between the pipes.

http://viewmyschedule.digitalsports.com/lm...SCHOOL_ID=28187

Isn't it a little early to judge how grafton's goaltending is going to be. I realize the bigger schools are just pissed that grafton can consistently compete and steal wins from them when the spoilers have 1/4 the number of kids come out for the team. I also see that RR plays grafton in grafton right before regionals. Theres no way they will still a win out of grafton at that time of year unless the refs help them out.

I wouldn't say there won't be teams in the state that can't contain Grafton's first two lines. I know that Red River should have the depth in order to contain them, and especially with Ladoucer and Galbreath coming back this season. Fargo South should have the offense to dish it right back at Grafton, but the ? is if they'll have the defense to contain the first 2 lines, which would support your statement. But with a weak goalie, a strong offense (Like South will have) can kill a team with a weak goalie (If GPR doesn't show a good goaltender).

How do we know south's goalie is going to be any good?

Isn't it a little early to judge how grafton's goaltending is going to be. I realize the bigger schools are just pissed that grafton can consistently compete and steal wins from them when the spoilers have 1/4 the number of kids come out for the team. I also see that RR plays grafton in grafton right before regionals. Theres no way they will still a win out of grafton at that time of year unless the refs help them out.

For your information, Grand Forks refs are not reffing in Grafton this season, so you Spoiler fans can't blame the game on the refs from Grand Forks. Red River and Grafton play in Grafton the last game of the year every year.

How do we know south's goalie is going to be any good?

Generally I consider a goalie to be defensive, [sarcasm]but those goalies that just light up the other teams goalies are pretty sick.[/sarcasm]

---

And what is the Grafton win percentage at their own arena? I don't see how Grafton can complain about out-of-city refs when Grafton wins much more often than not at home than they do away.

Thats not true...RR and Grafton rotate home and away every year...They play each other every last game of the year but they change home and away

Isn't that the same for almost every team's schedules, each year they basically swap games home and away. (I.E. South goes to Bismark this year, last year Bismark went to South)

• 4 weeks later...

I dont forsee RR losing a game in the state of ND, they could play roseau twice they should win at least one of those, warroad is down so they shouldnt be a problem, and bloomington jefferson is not the team they have been in the past. Its going to tale a pretty talented team to beat the offensive strength and defensive/goaltending ability of RR, i dont see that team on their schedule

Does anybody know who is being recruited from RR/statewide

I doubt that in RR's 3-4 games against both FS and GPR that they will go undefeated in the state of ND, it is plausible, but unlikely. I'd expect that FS will give them the loss(es) because as of now I'm not confident in the defensive capabilities of GPR. However, if there is a team that has a chance of going undefeated in ND, that team is definately RR.

I dont forsee RR losing a game in the state of ND, they could play roseau twice they should win at least one of those, warroad is down so they shouldnt be a problem, and bloomington jefferson is not the team they have been in the past. Its going to tale a pretty talented team to beat the offensive strength and defensive/goaltending ability of RR, i dont see that team on their schedule

Does anybody know who is being recruited from RR/statewide

hahahaha..... when was the last time a team went undefeated in the state? Not even South did that with their dream team, and they had better offense, defense, and goaltending than RR. Either Grafton or South will beat RR at least once this year guaranteed. High school sports are too unpredictable to say something so bold as that.

hahahaha..... when was the last time a team went undefeated in the state? Not even South did that with their dream team, and they had better offense, defense, and goaltending than RR. Either Grafton or South will beat RR at least once this year guaranteed. High school sports are too unpredictable to say something so bold as that.

You must be drunk. What Fargo South Dream team are you speaking of. I'd be making references to the 03' Central team or the 01' RR team. But you make a assertion about the FS Dream Team...comical

2005-2006 was a pretty remarkable team. One of the most talented I've known of, but I wouldn't consider them a 'Dream Team'.

And soohockey, don't be so irritable about someone talking about a good team outside of Grand Forks, believe it or not, it does happen.

agreed. we've got a great coach in Wilson so anyone could be beat under him

I don't give too much credit to Wilson, because he has given up a huge upset (2005 I believe, maybe 2004) to teams that are lower caliber than what he had under him. Along with last year, where he was unable to control his players (not entirely his fault, some players just don't get along) and ended up losing state because they couldn't work together. I'm not saying he isn't a great coach, I'd just like to see him pull the team together to pull down a favorited team this year with a team that wasn't state-renowned. In my opinion, this year would be his chance to do that. If he can pull down RR with the team he has this year (Wilson will likely have a lot of talent coming up, but RR is stacked) he will be one of the best coaches in the area, no doubt.

I'm still sceptical as of now.

I don't give too much credit to Wilson, because he has given up a huge upset (2005 I believe, maybe 2004) to teams that are lower caliber than what he had under him. Along with last year, where he was unable to control his players (not entirely his fault, some players just don't get along) and ended up losing state because they couldn't work together. I'm not saying he isn't a great coach, I'd just like to see him pull the team together to pull down a favorited team this year with a team that wasn't state-renowned. In my opinion, this year would be his chance to do that. If he can pull down RR with the team he has this year (Wilson will likely have a lot of talent coming up, but RR is stacked) he will be one of the best coaches in the area, no doubt.

I'm still sceptical as of now.

A.) He never had teams that were clearly better than anyone else.

B.) They didnt lose state last year because they couldn't work together, they lost because RR was just better.

C.) We could shut this thread down now because the outcome of the season is already known...it is.

2005-2006 was a pretty remarkable team. One of the most talented I've known of, but I wouldn't consider them a 'Dream Team'.

And soohockey, don't be so irritable about someone talking about a good team outside of Grand Forks, believe it or not, it does happen.

Dream Team huh. The 05-06 south team was good I dont disagree with that, however when you say that they had better offense, defense, and goaltending than RR does this year, thats a stretch. I dont know if youve heard of LaDouceur and Galbreath but they are easily the two best defensemen in the state since GFC's Marto. Forwards they had weisgarber and .............. RR has two lines that could rival most lines in MN much less ND and Arnason is better than Deichert I think he proved that when he gave up 8 goals to RR last year. He did play fairly well in the state tournament he didnt have a season anywhere near the one arnason had.

A.) He never had teams that were clearly better than anyone else.

B.) They didnt lose state last year because they couldn't work together, they lost because RR was just better.

C.) We could shut this thread down now because the outcome of the season is already known...it is.

I have my own beliefs that FS was far better skill-wise than RR was last year, but you can figure for yourself. However, making such a bold statement as you did in letter C is just plain arrogance, I don't care how 'Confident' or 'Cocky' you are, RR hasn't even played a game yet. I agree RR will be the team to beat this year, and they are definately the favorite right now, but saying they should close the thread because State is already decided is a HUGE stretch.

And yes, GFC beat Shanley 6-0.

You must be drunk. What Fargo South Dream team are you speaking of. I'd be making references to the 03' Central team or the 01' RR team. But you make a assertion about the FS Dream Team...comical

I obviously played for Red River during that 06 season and have talked to my teammates about this subject a lot. The fact was South was just flat out better than us, I'll be the first to admit it. Ask anyone that was in the locker room after the championship and they will tell you that we should have lost by a lot more than we did.

Hopefully people realize that Soohockey15 isn't liked by any of our Red River alumini, he is one of those kids who wishes he could have been out there but just didn't quite have what it took and just can't accept it. It's people like you who give our program a bad name. No wonder so many people across the state are starting to respect programs like South and GPR more than ours.

I would like to apoligize on behalf of the whole Red River program. Don't think this clown can speak for our program.