SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball DII 50th Anniversary Team

SiouxMD

• 1 month later...

I would never vote for Phil, and this is the reason, not that he doesn't deserve it as a bball player, but I am against the way that he has totally disowned UND for their nickname, I refuse to acknowledge him as he refuses to acknowledge UND, if he won would he even accept the award? I think it is soooo funny how if he was so against the nickname, why did he accept a scholarship and play here? You are going to pay my room and board! Go Sioux, what I am going pro and am now rich! I am totally against the name it is disrespectfull!! Thanks Phil for all that you have given back to UND!

Reps from REA and UND have met with Phil about coming back next year for an appearance. He is supposedly interested in coming back if the schedule can be worked out. I think it will depend on whether he is coaching next year, or if a day or 2 can be built into the schedule when LA comes up to play the Wolves.

Reps from REA and UND have met with Phil about coming back next year for an appearance. He is supposedly interested in coming back if the schedule can be worked out. I think it will depend on whether he is coaching next year, or if a day or 2 can be built into the schedule when LA comes up to play the Wolves.

If Phil truly wanted to come back, he could make it happen. For the last 10+ years (since he has been in the big time) he obviously hasn't wanted to come back.

I would never vote for Phil, and this is the reason, not that he doesn't deserve it as a bball player, but I am against the way that he has totally disowned UND for their nickname, I refuse to acknowledge him as he refuses to acknowledge UND, if he won would he even accept the award? I think it is soooo funny how if he was so against the nickname, why did he accept a scholarship and play here? You are going to pay my room and board! Go Sioux, what I am going pro and am now rich! I am totally against the name it is disrespectfull!! Thanks Phil for all that you have given back to UND!

I have been around UND for 36 years. Where do you get Phil has disowned UND? He is certainly a bit different. I don't know how he feels about the Fighting Sioux name but he can be entitled to his opinion without backlash can't he? I haven't read anything solid about his opinion on the nickname. I doubt he cares that much about it, but I don't know for sure. I have not seen any evidence he disowned UND. He has gotten on with his life. He was a great BB player here and deserves to be on the anniversary team based on his performance, not whether or not he is white, black, Catholic, Muslim, Zen Buddist or the combo he proclaims to strive to be. Why does it matter if he is for or against the Fighting Sioux name? If that is how you think people will start calling you Soda Kracker in honor of one of our other closed minded friends. Wait and let him tell us how he feels. Don't believe everything you read from the East and West Coast media.

• 4 weeks later...