SiouxSports.com Forum

Mussman

GeauxSioux

UND FOOTBALL: He's off & running

Shortly after Chris Mussman was named UND's 25th head football coach two weeks ago, he hit the road. There was little time to celebrate his first head coaching position after serving as an assistant coach for 17 seasons.

Mussman's mission was simple. He wanted to visit with UND football recruits who recently had given the school verbal commitments and assure them everything would be fine despite the coaching change.

When Dale told me he was going to take the job at Southern Illinois, I was told of the plan here and what he wanted to have happen. The skeptic in me was that until the paperwork had been signed, you just don't now. I didn't know if we'd be going to Carbondale with Dale, or whether we'd pursue the Mankato job or whether we'd look at one of the other jobs in the area. You look at your family and wonder if you're going to be around. It was a hectic time for not only my family, but for the rest of the staff and their families, too.