SiouxSports.com Forum

Bemidji St in the WCHA?

Air Force One

Although I like the current size of the league at 10 teams, BSU is just such a good obvious fit in the WCHA. But, as has already been discussed elsewhere, pulling them from the CHA would spell death for that league.

the league is ging to be dead anyway i believe. if they cant go to the wcha they may be out of division 1, PUT THEM IN THE WCHA, makes sense overall....

Page A2 of todays Heraldo has an article on Bemidji St athletics and it states...

Oh The Heraldo... I sure do miss reading it!

:silly:

Was The Herald taken over by a large Mexican publisher? ;)

Seriously though, BSU is a great fit for geographical reasons and we were saying the same thing about MSU not many years ago. And, although it does mean less games again UMtc and Wisco and Denver and CC and SCSU... it alse means LESS GAMES agains UMtc and Wisco and Denver and CC and SCSU. Say what you want, but look at a few of the teams ahead of us in the PWR right now... they benefit HUGELY from not having to beat or get beat by the #s 1-10 SOS all year leaving us all hovering between .700 and .500 winning percentage. And, I think if we added BSU they would immediately become SOS #11, so... no harm no foul. Welcome BSU, hang your coat by the door and let me grab you a beverage!

I think BSU already competes well within the WCHA, the were 5-5-0 against WCHA competition this year (2-0 at Mankato, 2-0 home/home with Duluth, 1-1 at Colorado College, 0-2 at Mich Tech, and 0-2 home/home against the Sioux). Over a 28 game league schedule, they would have made some noise in the league, albeit still pobably a lower half finish, and look what our lower half teams did last night. They can play and according to the article, they are not fully funded. New facility, premier league, full funding, proximity to conference opponents, I think they would do well in the WCHA.

I like the thought of BSU in the WCHA. I've enjoyed the games they have played in recent years against UND. They are a hard working team that despite the disparity in talent, always plays hard against UND without resorting to goon style tactics to level the playing field (mankato). I'd go to games in Bemidji as often as I could if they played WCHA opponents. It's only a little longer drive to Bemidji then it is GF for me...

This should not be a referendum of Bemidji State and how well they would fit into the league. This is about expansion in general. I'm dead set against expansion unless the NCAA allows more games to be played, which would in turn allow more league games. I'd hate it if the WCHA turned into a league where you only get home games against a team 3 of every 5 years. It's bad enough as it is. We don't need to make it worse through expansion.

The demise of the CHA is a national problem. All of the leagues should get together and do everything possible to ensure that six DI leagues survive. I don't see why having fewer, oversized leagues is good for college hockey at all.

This should not be a referendum of Bemidji State and how well they would fit into the league. This is about expansion in general. I'm dead set against expansion unless the NCAA allows more games to be played, which would in turn allow more league games. I'd hate it if the WCHA turned into a league where you only get home games against a team 3 of every 5 years. It's bad enough as it is. We don't need to make it worse through expansion.

The demise of the CHA is a national problem. All of the leagues should get together and do everything possible to ensure that six DI leagues survive. I don't see why having fewer, oversized leagues is good for college hockey at all.

I completely agree with mksioux. I am against more teams in the WCHA. It's not good for the schools currently in the WCHA and the loss of the CHA is not good for all of college hockey. The CHA problems are not just the problems of the 5 schools currently in the CHA. They are the problems of all of college hockey. College hockey should find a way to keep the CHA or a form of the CHA alive. The first thing they need to do is support the CHA schools by scheduling more OOC games against them, especially in their barns. These schools need to pay their bills, too. Second, college hockey needs to have an open discussion about what the future of the CHA is going to be and how we can all help to get it there.

I completely agree with mksioux. I am against more teams in the WCHA. It's not good for the schools currently in the WCHA and the loss of the CHA is not good for all of college hockey. The CHA problems are not just the problems of the 5 schools currently in the CHA. They are the problems of all of college hockey. College hockey should find a way to keep the CHA or a form of the CHA alive. The first thing they need to do is support the CHA schools by scheduling more OOC games against them, especially in their barns. These schools need to pay their bills, too. Second, college hockey needs to have an open discussion about what the future of the CHA is going to be and how we can all help to get it there.

Perhaps a way to strengthen the CHA and enhance home-and-away games within each leaque would be to move the Alaska schools into the CHA (and perhaps 1 other from each leaque). The CHA already has a huge transportation cost with it diverse geographical area but maybe the NCAA could help with some of the cost. It would strengthen the CHA and not hurt each existing leaque.

Perhaps a way to strengthen the CHA and enhance home-and-away games within each leaque would be to move the Alaska schools into the CHA (and perhaps 1 other from each leaque). The CHA already has a huge transportation cost with it diverse geographical area but maybe the NCAA could help with some of the cost. It would strengthen the CHA and not hurt each existing leaque.

I don't think you could have both Alaska Schools in the same league. That would be a travel nightmare.

I don't think you could have both Alaska Schools in the same league. That would be a travel nightmare.

Perhaps, but any team is going to have difficulty traveling to Alaska no matter what. One solution would be to have back-to-back away series with the Alaskan teams so that the teams just stay there for the week. Of course, it does mess up going to class but may give them plenty of time to study. I don't necessarily think this is the best solution but there is a need to look outside-the-box for a solution. The million dollar question is what can be done to keep the CHA viable?