SiouxSports.com Forum

OSU VS U MINN 1972

GaryP

While watching the Ohio State Minnesota BB game today on CBS, there was a shot of one of the players from the 1982 Minnesota Big 10 BB championship team. As the camera panned back, I noted not only the '82 championship banner, but the '72 one also.

It brought a bitter taste to this Buckeye fan's mouth. I was on campus at Grand Forks when this incident took place.

http://tinyurl.com/32qz3k

The Minnesota players (and fans) beat the crap out of some of the OSU players and NOTHING was done to them. They went on to win the Big 10 Championship. I think the NCAA should force the Gophers to take down that '72 banner and wipe that championship team out of the record books.

Luke Witte, who was beaten into unconsciousness, has forgiven. But many of us older fans cannot.

http://tinyurl.com/2r62y2

(Hope the links work. The Columbus paper used to be a paid site, but I think it's free now.)

While watching the Ohio State Minnesota BB game today on CBS, there was a shot of one of the players from the 1982 Minnesota Big 10 BB championship team. As the camera panned back, I noted not only the '82 championship banner, but the '72 one also.

It brought a bitter taste to this Buckeye fan's mouth. I was on campus at Grand Forks when this incident took place.

http://tinyurl.com/32qz3k

The Minnesota players (and fans) beat the crap out of some of the OSU players and NOTHING was done to them. They went on to win the Big 10 Championship. I think the NCAA should force the Gophers to take down that '72 banner and wipe that championship team out of the record books.

Luke Witte, who was beaten into unconsciousness, has forgiven. But many of us older fans cannot.

http://tinyurl.com/2r62y2

(Hope the links work. The Columbus paper used to be a paid site, but I think it's free now.)

So, GaryP, I have a question for you? Maurice Clarett and OSU seem to have broken plenty of NCAA rules during his one-year tenure in Columbus (2002-2003), but I don't hear you screaming bloody murder that the Buckeyes should turn in their football national champship from that season. How do you feel about that issue? At least when caught cheating (MN Gopher 1997 Final Four basketball team), Minnesota stepped up and struck that from the record books. OSU simply swept the Clarett tenure under the carpet.

So, GaryP, I have a question for you? Maurice Clarett and OSU seem to have broken plenty of NCAA rules during his one-year tenure in Columbus, but I don't hear you screaming bloody murder that the Buckeyes should turn in their football national champship. How do you feel about that issue? At least when caught cheating (MN Gopher 1997 Final Four basketball team), Minnesota stepped up and struck that from the record books. OSU simply swept the Clarett tenure under the carpet.

The Clarett issue was not swept under the carpet. It was investigated for quite a while by the NCAA and Claret lost his scholarship and is now serving jail time (for an unrelated issue obviously). Minny had NOTHING done to them! OSU had to play the next game (2 days later I think) at Michigan with 3 or 4 of their 5 starters still banged up from the hospitality shown them at the "Barn" that night.

Another issue is that back then only the champion got to play in the NCAA tourney. so OSU did not even get a chance to revive their season in the tournament.

No way do they deserve to be called Champs in '72.

The Clarett issue was not swept under the carpet. It was investigated for quite a while by the NCAA and Claret lost his scholarship and is now serving jail time (for an unrelated issue obviously). Minny had NOTHING done to them! OSU had to play the next game (2 days later I think) at Michigan with 3 or 4 of their 5 starters still banged up from the hospitality shown them at the "Barn" that night.

Another issue is that back then only the champion got to play in the NCAA tourney. so OSU did not even get a chance to revive their season in the tournament.

No way do they deserve to be called Champs in '72.

I'm not defending the 1972 Gopher basketball team and I even agree with your points. The NCAA and the schools themselves jumped in and took down references to championships and Final Four appearances for UMass (Marcus Camby era) and Michigan (Fab Five era) but it seems Minnesota has no problem with 1972. Sadly, the NCAA doesn't seem to care either.

Oooh...Clarett lost his scholarship while the University and the NCAA both profited IMMENSELY from the Buckeyes' 2002-2003 run. How seriously did they want that black eye and how serious was that investigation? I don't think there's any question that Clarett didn't take much more than a token class at THE Ohio State University yet no one gives a damn as long as Tressel and company were rolling to the title that season.