SiouxSports.com Forum

"The Winipeg Team"

Local Boy

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer. No one has any info about what happened to The Winnipeg Team? It was an amazing thing for Grand Forks Park Board hockey. Every year, a 13 year old all-star team from Grand Forks would play a game against a top club team from Wpg. The games would alternate between Grand Forks and the Winnipeg Arena. There was even a cup that was passed back and forth to the champion. Grand Forks youth players that played up there, were blessed with the experience of playing in front of 5-8,000 people in The Winnipeg Arena. The winning team would hoist the cup and do a victory lap around the arena.

The cool thing was the pep-talk between the 2nd and 3rd periods....

"You are NOT playing for 'Grand Forks', you are representing THE UNITED SATES OF AMERICA. Get out there and play your best...you worked hard to get here. Now, GO GET 'EM!"

AWESOME! Red, White, and Blue uniforms...the whole deal!!!

Whatever happened?

Also, at this time in Grand Forks hockey, we practiced outside and didn't play any road games. Maybe that contributed to why it was such a special thing at the time.

I haven't been inside Purpur Arena in years, but I know they used to have a plaque on the wall of the lobby area which included all the years that game was played, and the yearly winners. If I have a chance to get over there, I'll see if it's still there. That would at least give an idea of when the game was discontinued, if indeed it has been discontinued.