SiouxSports.com Forum

Visors mandatory in AHL

siouxrunner

Looks like any former Fighting Sioux playing in the AHL next year will be forced to wear a visor.

Story

The AHL is now the second minor hockey league to require face protection for all players, with the decision being made after a player this year lost an eye. How long until we see this progress up to the NHL? Will it take a star player losing an eye for the same ruling to come into effect?

Looks like any former Fighting Sioux playing in the AHL next year will be forced to wear a visor.

Story

The AHL is now the second minor hockey league to require face protection for all players, with the decision being made after a player this year lost an eye. How long until we see this progress up to the NHL? Will it take a star player losing an eye for the same ruling to come into effect?

I think you'll see plenty of kids in the not-too-distant future wearing eye protection because of younger stars like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin already doing so. It's one thing for the fringe players to wear a visor, cage, or full shield, but once top players wear them, it'll become 'the thing to do.' Kinda like ballet tights in the NBA. :lol:

crosby_sidney2.jpg

img9115141.jpg

Great news. I hope the progress contnues until every league up to and including the NHL makes full shields or masks mandatory.

Given the serious eye injuries suffered by players in the past few years, maybe young kids are taking notice. I still remember the sickening feeling in my throat when Steve Yzerman took a puck to the eye in the 2004 playoffs.

Yzerman to Wear Visor

I think a key point of this article was the following: