SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX BEAT THE TWINS...

SiouxMD

...Rookie Team!

""I cannot recall the last time a collegiate program was able to come down here and defeat the Twins rookie team. I am very impressed with the confidence that I saw in my guys today. I believe that this is a building block for success for the UND baseball program, because today the team saw that when they are mentally prepared and focused, they can accomplish anything," commented Ziegler."

Impressive! :huh:

...Rookie Team!

""I cannot recall the last time a collegiate program was able to come down here and defeat the Twins rookie team. I am very impressed with the confidence that I saw in my guys today. I believe that this is a building block for success for the UND baseball program, because today the team saw that when they are mentally prepared and focused, they can accomplish anything," commented Ziegler."

Impressive! :lol:

Very impressive win, however, until they move from Grand Forks where home games don't start until May. They will struggle.

Congrats Sioux!

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive win, however, until they move from Grand Forks where home games don't start until May. They will struggle.

Congrats Sioux!

I don't think that the weather will determine whether or not the team will struggle. Not being able to play at home until late April/May is in fact tough, but the issue is more in depth than that. UND baseball usually has 25+ games under their belt before they come home. Also, they have a great situation with indoor practice facilities now that basketball and volleyball have moved into the Betty. They have almost the entire Hyslop (main arena + multi-purpose arena), 4 batting cages (2 on hydrolic lift system), multiple "indoor" mounds.....not to mention access to the old Ralph Englestad Arena. This plus the fact that Zig has been dealing with this situation (college baseball during spring in GF) for 12 years (+ his years as an assistant)....I'm pretty sure he's got a game plan on how to get the boys ready for the season.

I don't think that the weather will determine whether or not the team will struggle. Not being able to play at home until late April/May is in fact tough, but the issue is more in depth than that. UND baseball usually has 25+ games under their belt before they come home. Also, they have a great situation with indoor practice facilities now that basketball and volleyball have moved into the Betty. They have almost the entire Hyslop (main arena + multi-purpose arena), 4 batting cages (2 on hydrolic lift system), multiple "indoor" mounds.....not to mention access to the old Ralph Englestad Arena. This plus the fact that Zig has been dealing with this situation (college baseball during spring in GF) for 12 years (+ his years as an assistant)....I'm pretty sure he's got a game plan on how to get the boys ready for the season.

I was not aware that the doors to the Old Ralph ever opened. What is the BB team (or anyone else) using to for?

The Old Ralph has been used for almost 4 years now by the UND baseball team and also UND's track and field (maybe cross-country too....not totally sure).

Track uses the concourse to do their conditioning, as the concourse is obviously bigger than the Hyslop indoor track (or any other track UND has to offer for that matter), so it serves as a very useful area for them. As far as baseball is concerned, they take their pitchers over there and throw "long-toss" on what used to be the main sheet. This also serves as a useful area as there isn't quite enough room at the Hyslop for position players AND pitchers.