SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hobey Baker Help

Hiram

You can read about the selection process here:

Hobey Baker Memorial Award Criteria

Basically, all Division I NCAA coaches vote, and then a Selection Committee decides the eventual winner from the top ten. This committee is composed of print media, electronic media, NHL scouts, and the American Hockey Coaches Association (college hockey coaches).

Well, if you fail to see the relevance then you must have the answer to my original query...how is the Hobey Baker candidate selected? Surely, points scored or GAA (in the case of a goaltender) has something to do with it...that, or it's an astonishing coincidence that only the top college hockey point producers are also the "most popular" hockey players! :lol: And, wouldn't it follow that if performance does factor in that the competition against whom one performs must also count for something? If a player in the CHA, for example, had as many points as a player in the WCHA, all other factors notwithstanding, wouldn't it just seem to make more sense to give the trophy to the guy from Minnesota or North Dakota than the dude from (gasp) Wayne State?

Come on, don't keep me guessing...instead of criticizing me for laying down preposterous theories and accusing me of sounding stupid why not just fill me in on how the system works...or do you need time to Google that?

The very first post in this thread has a link directly to the Hobey website, it breaks it all down for you. Maybe you should have read it.

I fail to see the relevance of how many points you score and against who, in considering the Hobey, as far a a popularity contest that statement just sounded stupid. I also agree that Panzer was a great college hockey player.

The very first post in this thread has a link directly to the Hobey website, it breaks it all down for you. Maybe you should have read it.

From the aforementioned link:

2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

How many points you score = display of outstanding skills. I guess you should have read it too. :lol: