SiouxSports.com Forum

basketball scheduling idea

UND92,96

Since it's obvious that non-conference basketball scheduling is a huge challenge for everybody in the NCC, I was just thinking that perhaps it's time to reinstate the old holiday tournament that the NCC used to have. Granted, with just seven teams is would require somebody to have a first round bye (presumably either the host school or the conference champion from the previous year). At least it would result in three more games (for all but the first round bye team), none of which would be against a dIII/NAIA opponent. It could rotate locations between all the teams. With the NSIC having fewer open dates starting next year with the addition of Mary and Upper Iowa, I think it's time to do something different or else we're going to end up playing everybody in the DAC every year. I realize it becomes a moot point for UND should we go dI, but it's something to consider.

Since it's obvious that non-conference basketball scheduling is a huge challenge for everybody in the NCC, I was just thinking that perhaps it's time to reinstate the old holiday tournament that the NCC used to have. Granted, with just seven teams is would require somebody to have a first round bye (presumably either the host school or the conference champion from the previous year). At least it would result in three more games (for all but the first round bye team), none of which would be against a dIII/NAIA opponent. It could rotate locations between all the teams. With the NSIC having fewer open dates starting next year with the addition of Mary and Upper Iowa, I think it's time to do something different or else we're going to end up playing everybody in the DAC every year. I realize it becomes a moot point for UND should we go dI, but it's something to consider.

I think that is a great idea! Many years ago, when there was an odd number of teams (maybe when UNI left, not sure), the NCC would invite a different DII team each year to participate. That seemed to work quite well. I think these teams enjoyed and almost felt honored to be invited.

I remember Gunther and others weren't crazy about having both holiday and post-season tourneys (played these teams too many times!) but it may be a necessity now!

Rotating the tourney may or may not be a challenge - you need to make sure the local community supports the tourney (it is over the holidays when students are out of town, etc.). Crowds were usually quite good during all the years when it was in Sioux Falls.

Sounds like a good idea playing in a xmas trny, but i am not too high on the playing some of the teams

3 and maybe 4 times in a year, why don't we just find another trny similar to the disney preseason trny that we played in this year, this could also help later on as you would possibly play teams from other regions or at least other leagues.

Sounds like a good idea playing in a xmas trny, but i am not too high on the playing some of the teams

3 and maybe 4 times in a year, why don't we just find another trny similar to the disney preseason trny that we played in this year, this could also help later on as you would possibly play teams from other regions or at least other leagues.

I think the hesitancy to play conference teams too many times in a year was a lot more valid back when it was a 9 or 10 team league and there were far fewer non-conference games to schedule. Now, with all the non-dII teams on the schedule, it doesn't look so bad, but perhaps the coaches would disagree with me on that one.

I think that is a great idea! Many years ago, when there was an odd number of teams (maybe when UNI left, not sure), the NCC would invite a different DII team each year to participate. That seemed to work quite well. I think these teams enjoyed and almost felt honored to be invited.

I remember Gunther and others weren't crazy about having both holiday and post-season tourneys (played these teams too many times!) but it may be a necessity now!

Rotating the tourney may or may not be a challenge - you need to make sure the local community supports the tourney (it is over the holidays when students are out of town, etc.). Crowds were usually quite good during all the years when it was in Sioux Falls.

You're probably right on the location. If it happens at all, it would likely be in Sioux Falls.