SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA and political correctness

PCM

Dr. Domenick J. Maglio has an excellent column in Hernando Today entitled PC-ing of FSU and America.

Can't we all just get along following political correctness? (Kumbaya.) It is easier to conform and go with the flow of PC edicts rather than battle to maintain high morals and standards. It is easier on ourselves to lessen our personal expectations than to live a disciplined life and it is much easier as an adult to allow everyone to do "their own thing" then it is to hold others to high standards. Being a friend instead of a parent, a wimp instead of a boss, acting like one of the kids instead of the teacher, changing the nickname of the team's mascot instead of fighting the decree is the path of least resistance.

I don't know where to put this so I'll just put it here.

Two weeks ago, I sent a really sarcastic email to the NCAA regarding sale of merchandise on their website from the schools that included the banned logos. Of course I got no response.

Today the Boston Sun had this to say:

No ban when it comes to shopping

Published August 25, 2005

The NCAA has taken a stand against nicknames and mascots that represent--or misrepresent--Native American symbols and traditions. Except, apparently, at the NCAA Sports Store on the Internet (www.shopNCAAsports.com) where the prohibition on the exploitation of American Indian culture doesn't extend to the souvenir market. In fact if you've got $75 burning a hole in your pocket, you can order an Illinois Fighting Illini Chief bracelet charm directly from the NCAA.

A 7 1/2-inch Chief bracelet will run you $550. How about a children's book featuring Chief Illiniwek, sure to become a collector's item. Apparently it's offensive for the Chief to show his painted face at a sanctioned tournament, but it's all right to sell souvenirs with his likeness on an official NCAA site. Hey, for $54.99 you can buy an Arkansas State beanbag chair with the school's logo and nickname (Indians). And if you're looking for a nice North Dakota Fighting Sioux Youth Hockey Jersey ($114.99), the NCAA has a deal for you.

Where does the NCAA stand on political correctness?