SiouxSports.com Forum

So what happens if UND says "no"?

mikejm

The NCAAs new rules only affect post-season appearances, right? So what if the University just says "no"? So they can't host NCAA post-season games, and they have to wear generic "North Dakota" uniforms in games they qualify for. Big deal. The team will still be the Fighting Sioux to everyone here, and alums across the country.

If the UND brass caves on this, I wonder where they intend to play hockey and basketball games? Back at the Hyslop? Going to rehab the old Engelstad? I'll bet a "non-Sioux" team would be barred from playing at the Ralph or the Betty by some codicil or another.

The fact remains, and has been reiterated by the NCAA themselves: they can't tell the University of North Dakota what to call their sports teams.

Buy Diggler's t-shirt and let's roll the dice.

The NCAAs new rules only affect post-season appearances, right? So what if the University just says "no"? So they can't host NCAA post-season games, and they have to wear generic "North Dakota" uniforms in games they qualify for. Big deal. The team will still be the Fighting Sioux to everyone here, and alums across the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not being able to host post-season games IS a big deal. Particularly for the football team. The Alerus Center was a big part of recent playoff success.

I highly doubt that if UND is forced to change the name that they wouldn't allow them to play in the REA or Betty. I know he said that, but that was if the school changed it, not if they were forced to change it IMO. That would be really, REALLY pathetic if they did not let them play there. Englestead would look like the biggest joke ever and GF would be made to look like a joke too.

I would bet against it!