SiouxSports.com Forum

SSM Recruits

PHE

I made a visit to Faribault a week ago and took in a SSM game. It was fun to watch the two Sioux recruits and to also get a look at "boy wonder" Sidney Crosby. Here are my impressions:

Drew Stafford-He centers the second line. At 6' 2" and 200 lbs he has good size and isn't afraid to dish out the hits. Average skating ability but has good hands. Very good playmaker. He'll bring something Sioux haven't seen much of as of late: a big centerman. He's very young (he turned 17 two weeks ago) but has some big upside. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends next year in the USHL but he'll be an impact player in the WCHA at some point.

Matt Smaby-Sioux fans are going to love this guy. He's listed at 6' 4"" and 205 lbs and doesn't hold back when there's a chance to make a hit. He'll fit right in with the current group of UND defensemen...big and defensive-minded. He's plays the point on the power play and moves the puck well. I haven't seen Matt Greene play but I'm guessing that Smaby is very much like him. Big, tough and nasty. As long as he plays smart he'll be a regular in the D rotation next year.

A few thoughts on SSM in general: This year's team is a definite step down from last year's (not unexpected) but they are still very good. Two of their top players are sophomores, Crosby and Jack Johnson. Johnson is 15 and has already committed to Michigan for 2005. Crosby is extraordinary. He just turned 15 a couple of months ago but he is clearly ahead of everyone else on the ice. His skills are incredible but the one that I noticed the most is that he has an explosive first step. He reminds me of Parise in that he always seems to get to the puck before anyone else and he does it so effortlessly. Fun to watch.

One other player on SSM to watch is Ken Rowe. He's 5' 11" and 185 lbs and reminds me of Spiewak. Very fast and goes all out on every shift. He scored a hat trick the night I saw him. He'll likely put up some big numbers this year since he skates on Crosby's line. As far as I know he hasn't he made a D1 commitment yet.

If you have a chance to check out SSM this year I would recommend it. For those of you in the GF area they are playing in Crookston in early January.