SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

And my comparison to the coaches.  I think you would agree that Blaise was a pretty alright coach.  Hak was head coach in Sioux City, he had them at the bottom of the league.  The following year, new coach, they win it all.  I mean thats not defining a career, but i don't think anyone would be too proud of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1996-97 Sioux-City Musketeers USHL Head Coach

Here we go again.  I guess you had/have to play hockey to talk hockey.  I think this was your response last season everytime someone said something you didn't agree with.

I was sitting in the front row behind the net where it happened.  Was it a penalty - according to Anderson it was.  I also thought it was good, physical play.  The earlier question, in part, was, do Greene's problems come from being physical and the answer is yes, in part, in my opinion.

I have no problem with that type of penalty - it is going to happen . . . when Greene gets the holding and obsturction penalties then there is a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd just like to comment on the cross checking penalties that are taken in front of the net. I was an average sized (small in div. 1 standards) and I can tell you there is a way to move a player who's camped in front of the net. On the penalty kill you physically can't cover the two forwards in front of the net so what you have to do is tie up the stick of the strong side (where the puck is) forward, clog up the passing lanes from the corner, and if the puck rotates to the opposite corner you have to have quick feet to more to the corner. If the puck moves to the point or slot then you move the forward out of the shooting lanes. The Sioux's d-men are big and strong enough where they should have to resort to cross checking to get a forward out of the way. They just need to work on getting low and simply power the forward out of the way.

I think the reason you see Green get penalties is because he hasn't had to refine his techniques in front of the net because he has always had a size and strength advantage. I sit in Sec. 113 and those cross checking penalties were dumb, borderline lazy penalties.

Rip away.

I'd just like to comment on the cross checking penalties that are taken in front of the net.  I was an average sized (small in div. 1 standards) and I can tell you there is a way to move a player who's camped in front of the net.  On the penalty kill you physically can't cover the two forwards in front of the net so what you have to do is tie up the stick of the strong side (where the puck is) forward, clog up the passing lanes from the corner, and if the puck rotates to the opposite corner you have to have quick feet to more to the corner.  If the puck moves to the point or slot then you move the forward out of the shooting lanes.  The Sioux's d-men are big and strong enough where they should have to resort to cross checking to get a forward out of the way.  They just need to work on getting low and simply power the forward out of the way.

I think the reason you see Green get penalties is because he hasn't had to refine his techniques in front of the net because he has always had a size and strength advantage.  I sit in Sec. 113 and those cross checking penalties were dumb, borderline lazy penalties.

Rip away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why rip away? What you say makes a lot of sense and I agree that there are other ways to move people from in front of the net, but the truth of the matter is the player camped out in front of net has been getting worked over by the opponents' d-man's stick for years. This isn't new to college hockey or new to MG. The big 'problem' is MG's strength. If Foyt or Bina or Radke hit someone with their stick, no matter how solid those three may be on their skates, it may move the opponent, but likely won't knock them off their skates. When MG does it the player gets pummeled onto the ice.

Those type of penalties have been called for years and that doesn't bother me (I would rather see that type of penalty earned rather than a forward caught behind the play snagging someone's jersey with a stick to slow them down or grabbing the opponent to hold them up - that better fits the definition of lazy), but they are certainly magnified this year because of the concentration on obstruction hooking, holding and slashing.

Are you trying to say a Division 1 athlete can't play two games a week?  If so, thats sad.  What are they going to do when playoffs come and they have to play three games a weekend?  Keep rotating all three?  I would say they don't play enough games a week.  They should play atleast four times a week if possibe just to stay sharp.  Playing once a week is tough to do.  They should go with one guy until they prove they either can do it, or can't do it.

I will atribute most of the goals given up this year to taking way too many penalties, and I agree "JPar"(as you like to call him) hasn't done too bad.  But there is a difference in not doing too bad and being a number one goalie.  If you look at Phil's numbers they are pretty damn good,  much better than Parise's. 

In regards to Brandt.  As i recall the '01-'02 season Kollar was a senior, and he had always gotten the job done before so Blaise tried sticking with him.  Which was probaly the right thing to do.  Now Brandt is the senior.  He is second all time at UND in GAA and shutouts, 3rd in save% and 4th in winning%, but where does that leave him??  You would think it would be his job to lose...insted they leave him at home.

And my comparison to the coaches.  I think you would agree that Blaise was a pretty alright coach.  Hak was head coach in Sioux City, he had them at the bottom of the league.  The following year, new coach, they win it all.  I mean thats not defining a career, but i don't think anyone would be too proud of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you have a choice between forward players, or defenseman......it would be a rare occasion to sit (or leave home) an upperclassman because they had a "bad day of practice"? So why would goaltending be much different? To me, when Brandt has had the big game experience, let him play in an actual game and see what happens! I had a High school football coach tell me......"if we played players according to how they'd practice, you'd never see the field come game time". However, I was a much better "Game time" player than I was in practice......I ended up starting 2 years for the games.......

My point? See what happens in the actual game, and go from there!

Give Brandt a chance again!

He hasn't lost the battle in my opinion, cause he hasn't had any games to lose!