SiouxSports.com Forum

Elite League in GF

jloos

I thought I'd recap what I saw this weekend.

Yesterday the GP team tied the SW team 5-5. They were down 5-4 with about 4min left and shorthanded when Oshie scored what might be the prettiest goal I've ever seen at any level. He had the puck at in the neutral zone and skated it into the corner of the offensive zone, it looked like he was just going to tie it up to kill some time. Then he made a move for the net, he had two large defensemen basically riding on his back he drove to the net with carrying these two absolutely smoked the goalie, and shelfed a snapshot right under the crossbar. I still don't know how he did it.

From what I saw the only problem with him is, he only turns it on about 10% of the time. He was easily the most skilled forward in the tourny.

The lines for most of the tourny were:

Stadstad - Oshie - Vandeveldie

Loos - Willert - Becker

Clukey - Postell - Campbell

Harren - Selk - Mihulka

The first line did most of the scoring, Oshie had at 4 goals and a couple of assists. Stadstad also had 3 or 4. Vandeveldie had a few assists, he spent most of his time forechecking.

The second line didn't get scored against the entire tourny - at least not when they were all together. Willert had a few goals.

The third line was terrible, they didn't score a point and probably had 3/4 of the goals against scored against them.

The fourth line had maybe one goal, but didn't do much.

The D were overall pretty weak. Vigen from RR is a monster and probably had the best tourny. Ammerman also had a good offensive showing, he is a great player. Hill from RR and Olimb from Warroad also looked good at times. The kid from South and Hardwick from Warroad struggled most of the time.

In net Christian looked really good, he had a shutout the second game. The kid from South really struggled, he let in a few weak goals.

IMO Oshie could be a really good recruit, probably the best 06 recruit. His skating may seem a little sloppy but he has incredible hands and a great shot. He is also very strong on his skates and while not the fastest, is far from slow.

Vandeveldie is a good player, he is big and fast and works hard all of the time. He is great behind the net, he had a couple of nice assists. He is also a good defensive forward.

Lee is still recovering from knee surgery so he didn't play.

Others that are D1 prospects IMO:

Ammerman is a great skater and a very good offensive D-man. He needs some work at positioning, he was burned a few times.

Becker is a very fast, shifty forward. His biggest downside is his size, they have him listed as 5-10, but there is no way he is even that tall.

Loos (am biased of course) is a very big power forward. He has great hands and is by far the best forechecker. He is maybe a 1/2 step slower than Oshie and Vandeveldie, and he spends a lot of time in the box.

I was really impressed with Vigen, he needs to work on his speed, but he can really hit. He delivered some punishing blows this weekend. He plays great position and puts the puck on net from the point. I could see him playing somewhere.

Willert was probably the biggest surprise for me. This kid is big, strong and has a wicked shot. He isn't the fastest player on the ice but he was one of the best. He is only a junior, no offense to the Western ND people, but he should play somewhere else if he wants to improve his game. He was easily the best ND forward I saw. Kuntz didn't play and the kid from Bismarck wasn't even on the roster.

jloos,

Thanks so much for this report. Actual comments on play are probably what I like to read most here, so stuff like this and Farce's report on the Mankato series are much appreciated. (I don't mean to leave others out; thanks to all for their input.)

[Other poster types:

those that like to hear themselves talk so they post opinions and projections (me),

those that like to stir the pot,

friendly visitors (and trolls) from other teams, and of course

the occasional stalker and puck-bunny ("LuvUZach").]

---------------------------------

"From what I saw the only problem with him is, he only turns it on about 10% of the time. He was easily the most skilled forward in the tourny." --- You mean we might have our own Vanek?

It's great to hear about Willert. I met him a few years ago at a Sioux game, and he was a big kid even then. I had heard that his family was pretty big on the high school experience, and if that meant a post-HS year in the USHL to catch-up, then so-be-it. As a parent I can't argue with the approach, although I certainly understand the desire to fast-track. You could argue that by playing in Summer festivals and the Elite League he is getting quite a lot of high quality ice time against top players.

Thanks again.

I think the report on Oshie that he only turns it on 10% of the time is very misleading statement. The talent pool w/ the Great Plains team is very drastic.

The North Dakota kids as a whole are less talented then the MN kids and most of the time playing more defensive to keep in the game. If you have a chance to watch Oshie you'll see that his play is very defensive which is the way Warroad players are trained and taught. The free flow is more for the wingers which Oshie is usually setting up on back door.

To mention that Oshie is a Vanek is horrible. This kid plays 100% each and every shift in games and practice. Maybe you should ask Eades to confirm this.

I think the report on Oshie that he only turns it on 10% of the time is very misleading statement.  The talent pool w/ the Great Plains team is very drastic. 

The North Dakota kids as a whole are less talented then the MN kids and most of the time playing more defensive to keep in the game.  If you have a chance to watch Oshie you'll see that his play is very defensive which is the way Warroad players are trained and taught.  The free flow is more for the wingers which Oshie is usually setting up on back door.

To mention that Oshie is a Vanek is horrible.  This kid plays 100% each and every shift in games and practice.  Maybe you should ask Eades to confirm this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My comments on Oshie were from watching 3 games that mean little to nothing, it was not to be taken as anything more than that. He may have been sick or tired, I don't know. The third game he gave much more effort than the first two IMO. Even then he didn't forecheck very hard nor did he backcheck hard - you can tell he is used to being the guy that gets set up.

I agree the talent level has some ups and downs, but I wouldn't put the ND and MN kids all on one side. Stadstad and Willert probably led the team in scoring for the weekend. IMO Willert is a genuine D1 prospect. Also, after Ammerman, the best D on the ice was probably Vigen from RR. Campbell, Selk and Mihulka looked a little out of place at times, but so did Clukey (although he just started playing).

JK - you are right about Willert, this program was designed so kids like him could stay in HS and still compete at a higher level.

My comments on Oshie were from watching 3 games that mean little to nothing, it was not to be taken as anything more than that. He may have been sick or tired, I don't know. The third game he gave much more effort than the first two IMO. Even then he didn't forecheck very hard nor did he backcheck hard - you can tell he is used to being the guy that gets set up.

"you can tell he is used to being the guy that gets set up."

Just a quick reponse to the final JLoos comment made as to Oshie always getting set up on goals.

Oshie is a playmaker first then goal scorer. If you've had a chance to watch him over the past couple years you'd notice that he complimented Tony Selvog very well since Selvog was a natural goal scorer. If you remember some of the '03 State Tourney goals I'd say he produced those goals w/ hard work, hockey sense and savvy. He by no means relies on his linemates to set him up on the backdoor. He's a proactive offensive player that creates scoring opportunities w/ his puckhandling and vision. If it's not there he always is looking for a late breaking teammate going to the back post.

You could probably ask his Warrior's teammates who they'd want centering their line as their goal production is always up.

I love to watch TJ Oshie play and I've watched him since he came to Minnesota. As far as him waiting for the puck ....I've never laughed so hard. I happened to be at the State tournament 2003 when he was left with an open net and decided to give it up to his teammate! (harren) what a classy move.

I think we can give a good report without cutting down kids. Let's work on that Loos's Dad. :0

I thought I'd recap what I saw this weekend. 

Yesterday the GP team tied the SW team 5-5.  They were down 5-4 with about 4min left and shorthanded when Oshie scored what might be the prettiest goal I've ever seen at any level.  He had the puck at in the neutral zone and skated it into the corner of the offensive zone, it looked like he was just going to tie it up to kill some time.  Then he made a move for the net, he had two large defensemen basically riding on his back he drove to the net with carrying these two absolutely smoked the goalie, and shelfed a snapshot right under the crossbar.  I still don't know how he did it. 

From what I saw the only problem with him is, he only turns it on about 10% of the time.  He was easily the most skilled forward in the tourny.

The first line did most of the scoring, Oshie had at 4 goals and a couple of assists.  Stadstad also had 3 or 4.  Vandeveldie had a few assists, he spent most of his time forechecking.

IMO Oshie could be a really good recruit, probably the best 06 recruit.  His skating may seem a little sloppy but he has incredible hands and a great shot.  He is also very strong on his skates and while not the fastest, is far from slow. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya I really ripped on the kid :0 I reported what I saw, I don't think I ripped on Oshie. I've re-read my post, I'm not sure what you are talking about "waiting for the puck".

I didn't realized Broderson was Noterman's cousin, I would have kept an eye on him if I did.

I guess I shouldn't really care what 1 post trolls say anyway.