SiouxSports.com Forum

'04-'05 BB season

teamsioux

I love UND athletics but I have been very disappointed in the recruiting the last few seasons. I think the staff needs to work a little harder. That being said. I'm worried about the situation. I personally feel that the more this team is going to rely on freshman and Juco transfers the worse off they will be. The less they "know" each other the worse season starts and the less effective they are. I sure hope that Tommy Liekes is not a factor player this year, if he is playing the point, no one will touch the ball and no other NCC point guards will have anyone playing 'D' on them. Shoot first point guards don't win games in the NCC. I hope one of those Juco guys can run the offense and pressure guards along with stopping penitration.

I do feel that whatever happens this year, Lindahl and Rypkema have a great seasons, better than last! But having a stiff like Adam Jacobson in your starting lineup hurts the teams cause. He's no Nick J.

Good Luck to the Sioux! I hope it works out better than I think!

I love UND athletics but I have been very disappointed in the recruiting the last few seasons.  I think the staff needs to work a little harder.  That being said.  I'm worried about the situation.  I personally feel that the more this team is going to rely on freshman and Juco transfers the worse off they will be.  The less they "know" each other the worse season starts and the less effective they are.  I sure hope that Tommy Liekes is not a factor player this year, if he is playing the point, no one will touch the ball and no other NCC point guards will have anyone playing 'D' on them.  Shoot first point guards don't win games in the NCC.  I hope one of those Juco guys can run the offense and pressure guards along with stopping penitration. 

I do feel that whatever happens this year, Lindahl and Rypkema have a great seasons, better than last!  But having a stiff like Adam Jacobson in your starting lineup hurts the teams cause.  He's no Nick J.

Good Luck to the Sioux! I hope it works out better than I think!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally would expect Leikas to be the third point guard--behind Caro Nobles and Josh Doyle--and to therefore play very little. Also, if Jacobson starts it would likely only be because of injuries to those ahead of him. At the wing positions, I would expect Johnson, Parks and newcomer Shawn Swan to be ahead of him, unless he's improved greatly over last season.

This is a do-or-die season in my opinion. There's enough talent to win the NCC, or at least to be in contention right up to the last weekend. Had Parks and Nobles not been injured last year, I am pretty confident that UND would have won several more games than they did. I have been critical of Rich Glas in the past, and will be again if the team under-achieves this year, but he can't really be faulted for losing two key players to season-ending injuries early last year, plus the personal problems that reduced Aaron Austin from a possible all-conference player to essentially a non-factor. But now that he apparently has the horses to make a run, he needs to produce.

I love UND athletics but I have been very disappointed in the recruiting the last few seasons.  I think the staff needs to work a little harder.  That being said.  I'm worried about the situation.  I personally feel that the more this team is going to rely on freshman and Juco transfers the worse off they will be.

The "disappointing recruiting the past few seasons is definetly not due to a lack of effort. Randall Herbst works as hard at what he does as anyone you can possibly find. A lot of early mornings and late nights on the road. That being said, it seems that kids recruiting-wise have a "D1 or bust" attitude as of late. The recruiting landscape of D2 has changed in the past 5 yrs IMO. The instant impact true freshman isn't going to be too frequent of an occurance, although there is hope that a few rabbits can be pulled out of the hat for next year. Instead, there will be a lot of guys who, when they are redshirt SO, are ready to step up and make the impact. That is why the juco player is so important at this level, to bridge the gap so to speak. They are, in many cases, the players that will come in and be the difference makers. Granted, it may take a few more weeks for them to get acclimated, but things have changed. Whether they have changed for the better or not, who knows, but in this case it is better to go with the trend rather then get trampled because of a lack of 4 year players.

The team we will see on the floor for the men this year should have quality depth and a lot of guys who can score. Rype and Lindahl are the best 1-2 punch up front in the NCC, bar none. Parks can really make the ball go in the hole, but he needs to defend also. Doyle will probably play key minutes, and it will be good to have a couple of guys who can run the point effectively with him and Nobles, which is something that has gotten the Sioux into trouble the past few years. There are plenty of potential 2/3 guys, with MJ, AJ, Parks, Bradley, Swann, and Nobles. Wells played surprisingly well at times last year, and Stoute has a lot of potential. The team will be very deep, and could average more points per game then we have seen in a while with all the scorers they have. With all that, though, there is the other end of the floor which may ulimately determine the Sioux's fate. That is where Swann may make his biggest impact, a Bo Powell kind of defender potentially. All that being said, I beleve that if a PG steps up, Mankato could have the best NCC team that we have seen around since probably the early 90's UND teams. With Moeller, Staten, and Anderson, they have 3 guys who can really fill it up and are tough to defend.