SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tournament and geography

JESUS,family,rutgers

It is pretty variable...if UND has a great record and is a high seed, they are likely to stay in the West. The lower the seed, the more likely you will be sent to another region. I think the NC$$ also trys to avoid same conference matchups if possible. I really don't know the criteria that well, I am sure someone out there does...

for the most part the top seeds in the regions get to stay at home if they are hosting a regional or they will be sent to the closest regional to their home state. and yes a east team can go out west or a west team can go out east. just depends on the seedings in the long run

In college hockey, does the NCAA try to keep teams in their geographical area or ,for example,can Maine end up out West and North Dakota end up in the East. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd agree they generally TRY to keep teams from one league separated, unless it is the WCHA...take a look last year. It was set up so that the WCHA could not "overpower" the teams from HE. Theoretically it could have been an all WCHA FF. But the teams were seeded and placed in such a way that WCHA teams knocked each other out so only ONE WCHA team could make the FF. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but that is what I beleive.

WPoS

I'd agree they generally TRY to keep teams from one league separated, unless it is the WCHA...take a look last year.  It was set up so that the WCHA could not "overpower" the teams from HE.  Theoretically it could have been an all WCHA FF.  But the teams were seeded and placed in such a way that WCHA teams knocked each other out so only ONE WCHA team could make the FF.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but that is what I beleive.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess this is probably unfair to wcha teams, but good for college hockey overall.

There were two WCHA teams in the Frozen Four, and two Hockey East teams, if I remember right. It was UMD vs. Denver in one semi-final game, and Maine vs. Boston College in the other.

But you are correct, it would have been possible to seperate all the WCHA teams to have 4 of them end up in the Frozen Four. We had North Dakota, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Denver and Wisconsin all in the 16-team field.

There were two WCHA teams in the Frozen Four, and two Hockey East teams, if I remember right.  It was UMD vs. Denver in one semi-final game, and Maine vs. Boston College in the other.

But you are correct, it would have been possible to seperate all the WCHA teams to have 4 of them end up in the Frozen Four.  We had North Dakota, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Denver and Wisconsin all in the 16-team field.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops, yah forgot that, so I correct myself. D'oH!

WPoS