SiouxSports.com Forum

5 years of eligibility?

ethanm

The NCAA is considering a proposal from the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) to add a 5th year of eligibility. The rational behind it is that it takes about 4.8 years to graduate so players will be able to graduate before their eligibility runs out. This would, hopefully, cause graduation rates to rise. This appears to only apply to basketball. I would assume it would apply to all divisions, but I can't say for sure since I couldn't find the actual proposal. If this would go through for all divisions, the extra year would have a big impact for lower division schools and DI mid-majors as their players aren't usually candidates to leave early for the NBA. Another reason I

It's a ridiculous proposal. So instead of kids getting exploited for 4 years it would now be 5.

The amount of money that some schools make off of men's basketball puts it in the realm of professional sport not college athletics. So instead of agreeing to pay the kids something even close to a living wage as a way of compensating them for their time and effort the coaches come up with the idea that they'll try to exploit them for an additional year. Wonderful.