SiouxSports.com Forum

Victory Sports Article on ESPN

Marty

An article on ESPN.com about the Victory Sports channel and the situation of it.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they can't come up with a stinking deal.

3 reason right now why they wont get a deal with the big companies

-2.20 per subscriber.....that is just asinine. in comparison, the YES network (which has the Yankees and Nets), when they started wanted $2 per subscriber.

-They want it as a pay per option..Victory doesn't. I personally want the option of getting it if I want to, not having my bill go up becasue of it

-Programming....Other than the Twins, what the heck else are they going to show...ESPN News??

The reason the smaller companies have a deal is they are in a better predicament than the big ones

-most small cable companies have to compete with satellite. The more cable can offer, the better they look. Since in some of the areas, locals arent available on satellite, cable has an advantage.

-Some cable companies are also run by the phone company..they may not raise the cable rates, but they'll find a way in those lovely "fees" of your phone bill.

-Programming....Other than the Twins, what the heck else are they going to show...ESPN News??

MORE COLLEGE HOCKEY. That would be good news for all of us, wouldn't it? Even though it's just mankato and scsu, that's still more chances the sioux or bulldogs would be on. Plus, I like watching college hockey in general and get sick of watching just the Gophers all the time. Furthermore, once picked up by the providers, Victory would be a competitive bidder against FSN for the Final 5, which should provide for more coverage (like the Friday afternoon game).

But I agree Victory should not be awarded anything until they are able to be seen by the vast majority of cable/dish customers. I also agree that Victory is asking WAY too much...but the providers aren't even willing to counter-offer from the way it sounds.

MORE COLLEGE HOCKEY. That would be good news for all of us, wouldn't it? Even though it's just mankato and scsu, that's still more chances the sioux or bulldogs would be on. Plus, I like watching college hockey in general and get sick of watching just the Gophers all the time. Furthermore, once picked up by the providers, Victory would be a competitive bidder against FSN for the Final 5, which should provide for more coverage (like the Friday afternoon game).

Maybe for SCSU, but not for Mankato

Since Charter has the rights to the home games, Victory can only do the road games. When they play UND, its on FSSN. UMD games usually are on WDIO, Channel 10 in Duluth. so that is a moot point.

If my bill is going to go up 2.25 or more for that...no thanks. I'll just watch the UMD games live ;)

You actually watch the Goofers?:D? (other than when they are playing UMD or UND)

But I agree Victory should not be awarded anything until they are able to be seen by the vast majority of cable/dish customers.  I also agree that Victory is asking WAY too much...but the providers aren't even willing to counter-offer from the way it sounds.

The cable systems have asked for 2 options

-less money they need to pay for it

-if they want the 2.25, make it a Pay option..you want it, you pay for it.