SiouxSports.com Forum

Biggest positive for each remaining nickname (final 15)

UND-RedSox fan

In the same train of thought as jimdahl and to hopefully inject some optimistic thought (not easy I know :D  ) into the nickname discussion, what is the biggest pro for each of the 15 nicknames (whether you like the name or not)? I'll give it a try.

Blaze: Fires are intimidating and stoners are friendly

Cavalry: Cool logos, military associated, and unique and intimidating

Explorers: Unique, ties into the state history with Lewis and Clark, can't be seen as hostile or abusive

Fighting Green: Two best adjectives to describe UND

Fighting Hawks: Have you ever seen a hawk fight? I haven't but it could be hilarious to watch

Force: I like Star Wars

Green Hawks: Green Hawks vs. Red Hawks, which former hostile and abusive school will have the upper hand in this budding rivalry.

Nodaks: Better than Canadians, Minnesotans, Sodaks, and Montanans (Montanians?)

North Dakota: 5 years from now, a new committee could come up with better choices

North Stars: We're a northern state, the North Star will always point us home (unless for some unfortunate reason you are in Canada)

Pride: Lions are cool but calling us the Lions wouldn't make us as unique as Pride

Roughriders: state nickname, highest honor in the state is the roughrider award, no person in history is as bad ass as Teddy, cool logos, unique, can confuse people reading the Herald that aren't able to pickup context clues.

Spirit: ghosts are scary and drinking alcohol is fun

Sundogs: better than rainbows or auroras

Thunderhawks: closer the thunder is the more trouble you are in plus hawks can pick at our rivals after the lightning got them. Two names in one!