SiouxSports.com Forum

PWR Rankings......

Siouxhockey03

The Sioux will not start losing comparisons until their RPI drops down to the rest of the pack. To get a rough idea of where the Sioux RPI will be you need to examine the Sioux WP, OWP and OOWP.

Currently for the Sioux:

WP - 0.7593 The Sioux have to win 3 of four to maintain it. Take the worst case, say the Sioux go 7-5 through games played through the Final Five. Then Sioux WP would be 0.7051. Currently that would be good for 3rd in the nation. For either the Gophers or the Dogs to pass that, no more than one loss would be permitted for either team.

OWP - Currently 0.5806. Remaining WCHA opponents have a WP of 0.4557. This category will take a hit, but when the WCHA playoffs are finished the Sioux will still have a top five OWP.

OOWP - Won't change dramatically from it's current state.

My analysis is that barring a complete disaster, like 5-7 finish, the Sioux will be the highest ranked western team. If DU makes the tourney, and the Sioux and DU are the only WCHA teams in the Colorado regional the Sioux will be in Boston.

If DU fails to make the tourney and the Sioux and the Gophs are in Colorado, all bets are off. It would be the Gophers best chance to beat the Sioux.

If DU fails to make the tourney and the Sioux and the Gophs are in Colorado, all bets are off. It would be the Gophers best chance to beat the Sioux.

I am not sure why folks seem to think that UofM is going to Collorado for sure I can actually see Minnesota going to Michigan or out east. Sounds like UofM fans are pleading that they don't get sent to Michigan. I am not so sure they want UofM to play UND either.

The Pairwise that is up there now is not the "real" Pairwise.  I'm sure they will be able to tinker with the "bonus points" for quality wins to assure that BC, and Michigan get #1 seeds.  Probably will do the same for the Gophs too. :D

The bonus points are added to a teams RPI, which is of course the most important component of PWR due to it's being the tie-breaker.

Here is a current breakdown of who will receive the RPI bonus:

Rk Team ---------- Quality Wins

Rk ---------------------- R N H

1 North Dakota ------ 0 0 1

2 Boston College ---- 1 2 0

3 Maine ---------------- 0 2 0

4 Minnesota ---------- 2 0 1

5 Michigan ------------ 0 0 0

6 Minnesota-Duluth - 0 0 0

7 Wisconsin ----------- 2 0 0

The Gophers and UW will lose one of there Quality Road wins when Mich State drops out of the top fifteen.

The only time that it could cost a team are comparisons between two teams who's RPI is very close, and the only separation in the comparison is in fact RPI.

So about your concerns, BC won't need any help to get a #1, Mich won't get any help, and the Gophers will get a little help. In the Gophers case, there RPI is quite strong and will remain strong so the bonus will not likely come into play for them.

UMD's RPI will get quite a boost the last four series. Unless the Gophers sweep, I think UMD will eventually win the comparison between the two teams. Of course, that would be a mixed blessing as it would likely send UMD to Grand Rapids as a #1.

I am not sure why folks seem to think that UofM is going to Collorado for sure I can actually see Minnesota going to Michigan or out east. Sounds like UofM fans are pleading that they don't get sent to Michigan. I am not so sure they want UofM to play UND either.

I didn't mean to imply I think the Gophers will be in Colorado. The only way I see it happening is if both DU and CC fail to qualify.

I'm guessing either UMD or the Gophers will get the last #1 seed and go to Grand Rapids. The other will be a #2 and will likely be in the Maine bracket. At this point I think UMD has the inside track, due to their early season sweep at Mariucci and the two comparison points it earned them.

If Michigan earns the final #1 seed, it is anyones guess as to whether UMD or the Gophs will be the #2 in GR.