SiouxSports.com Forum

Athletics at UND, NDSU subsidized heavily by schools, students - See m

Hayduke

I think this bears discussion. Are UND and FU going too far with spending on athletics?

Personally, I see it as a marketing tool and hopefully as the programs gain more success, more outside revenue will come in to support the athletic budgets. But, I can see why those would argue that it is a waste of money.

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/16327/

All told, 47 percent of UND athletic revenues in 2012 came through subsidies, according to USA Today data. At NDSU, that was 43 percent.

But as collegiate athletics’ budgets have ballooned across the nation, the portion of the tab two universities pick up to pay for college sports isn’t just the norm. They’re some of the most self-sufficient programs among their peers.

The 74 other programs like UND and NDSU – Division I schools with teams in the smaller Football Championship Subdivision – that reported information to USA Today received nearly 70 percent of their revenues from their school and students, on average. Only four schools relied less on subsidies than NDSU. UND was just behind, at No. 7.

“There is no FCS program that’s self-supporting, and my guess will ever be self-supporting. It’s just not the model that FCS will be able to withstand,” said Kyle Moats, the athletic director at Missouri State University.

- See more at: http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/16327/#sthash.FIukGBGr.dpuf