SiouxSports.com Forum

Local Talent

jloos

I graduated from Fargo South in 1995.  Wilson was even my gym teacher when I was in 8th grade.  :D  He was an ok guy except that he allowed anything to go on in the locker rooms, so I got bullied a lot ;)

Redwing77, age is relative. You graduated with my little sister. I graduated in '93, yes the year before Souths first state championship ???

• 1 month later...

http://www.journalstar.com/sports.php?story_id=112939

Stars' Simonson won't get to play again this season

BYMARKDEROWITSCH / Lincoln Journal Star

Morgan Simonson has more important matters to worry about than his future in hockey.

His plans now are to keep himself busy as he finishes high school back home in Grand Forks, N.D., and shakes off the lingering effects of his second concussion in the four months he was with the Lincoln Stars.

"That's probably best for me right now," Simonson said.

Simonson's season with the Stars came to an abrupt end during practice last Sunday, when he took a blow to the head during a drill. While he wasn't knocked unconscious, Simonson experienced shortness of breath and his heart rate skyrocketed while he was down on the ice, Stars trainer Corey Courtney said.

As a precaution, Simonson was taken by ambulance to BryanLGH Medical Center West. It was later confirmed Simonson had suffered his second concussion this season, and the fourth of his hockey career.

Simonson doesn't remember being hit during practice, and only has vague memories of Sunday's events, before or after practice.

It's the reason why he decided to call it a season.

"It's frustrating, because Imade it halfway through the year and Iwas just starting to come around," Simonson said. "I'll take some time off and go home so Ican finish high school now. That's all I can do, really."

There's still a chance Simonson, a United States Hockey League rookie, may be back in Lincoln next season. At least doctors haven't ruled it out yet.

Right now, Simonson has been told to sit out at least two months and undergo further tests to determine the long-term effects of the concussions.

But instead of waiting around Lincoln and trying to make a comeback in early March, Simonson chose to play it safe and end his season now.

As for Simonson's future, he'll deal with that down the road, probably close to the end of summer.

"He may be told never to play hockey again," Courtney said. "That's not out of the question -- there's still some hope."

Simonson played in 24 games for the Stars this season, and assisted on two goals. But during the past month, he was starting to adjust to the USHL and was steadily becoming more of a factor, Stars coach Steve Johnson said.

"We're going to miss Morgan, because he worked so hard," Johnson said.

With Simonson's departure, the Stars will be short-handed when they face the Des Moines Buccaneers and Waterloo Black Hawks this weekend. Lincoln travels to Des Moines today, then returns to the Ice Box for a Saturday match against Waterloo.

Keith Rodger, a defenseman-turned-forward-turned-defenseman again, will likely pick up the slack at the blue line for the time being. At the same time, Johnson is trying to bring in another defenseman to fill Simonson's spot on the 23-man roster.

Right now that spot belongs to Matt Nickerson, a third-round draft pick by the Dallas Stars last season who is in the middle of his freshman year at Clarkson.

Nickerson was rumored to be unhappy at Clarkson, which is why Johnson took a chance and added the rugged defenseman to the Stars' protected list. The chances of Nickerson ever playing in Lincoln, Johnson said, are slim.

In the meantime, Johnson will try to bring in someone to replace Simonson before Feb. 10, the USHLtrading deadline.

jk,

Considering all of the information and insight that I get from this board on what's going on with the Sioux, the little information I can provide from Lincoln is the least I can do! I just hope that Morgan recovers quickly. He's a good kid and having lasting effects from post-concussion syndrome is not worth the risk of playing hockey again.