SiouxSports.com Forum

Battle of the Little Big Horn

GeauxSioux

I was going through some time lines with kids last night and one of the flash cards was for the Battle of the Little Big Horn. The kids all have Sioux shirts, watch Sioux clips and Sioux games when they are on. Their only connections to sports they have are the New Orleans Saints and the Sioux. So when I told them that the Sioux won the Battle of the Little Big Horn, they thought "here he goes again about the Sioux". So we got on the internet and read all about what happened in that battle. A teachable moment and "the Sioux won".

I was going through some time lines with kids last night and one of the flash cards was for the Battle of the Little Big Horn. The kids all have Sioux shirts, watch Sioux clips and Sioux games when they are on. Their only connections to sports they have are the New Orleans Saints and the Sioux. So when I told them that the Sioux won the Battle of the Little Big Horn, they thought "here he goes again about the Sioux". So we got on the internet and read all about what happened in that battle. A teachable moment and "the Sioux won".

A teachable moment and "the Sioux won".

Can you explain the "teachable part" of THAT analogy? Seems like it didn't really work out well in the short term for Custer or the long term for the Sioux indians - and you wrap it up bringing it back to a college sports nickname analogy?

THANKS Professor! :huh:

Can you explain the "teachable part" of THAT analogy? Seems like it didn't really work out well in the short term for Custer or the long term for the Sioux indians - and you wrap it up bringing it back to a college sports nickname analogy?

THANKS Professor! :huh:

I didn't say it turned out well for anyone.

Let me see, my kids frequently see me cheering for my favorite college sports team who happened to be named the Sioux. Of course, I like when the Sioux win, in hockey football, bb..... So when they heard they heard me say the Sioux won, I got the eye roll. It lead to further discussion and learning. Thus, a teachable moment.

Maybe you had to be there. :D

Next time I hold class, I'll PM you and see if you can make it. ;)