SiouxSports.com Forum

Chris Porter A Strong Suit To Making The STL Blues

Yttrium

Courtesy of News-Democrat:

Porter is hoping he can fill a void; Blues may need to find gritty winger

BY NORM SANDERS

News-Democrat

"ST. LOUIS --The last time he skated at Scottrade Center, St. Louis Blues prospect Chris Porter was captain of the University of North Dakota squad that lost to Boston College at the 2007 NCAA Frozen Four.

This week he's trying to earn a job with the Blues at development camp.

"I've always tried try to lead by example," said Porter, who played in 175 consecutive games in four years with the Fighting Sioux. "Last year I was a rookie in Peoria; there were a lot of veterans on the team and I let them be the vocal leaders. I just try to work hard every shift and be an example."

That hard work has Porter pushing for a job in the NHL."

Chris Porter will make any team better. Now, with the trades of Jamal Meyers and the re-location of former UND alum, Ryan Johnson, Ports has a huge window of opportunity with the up and coming St. Louis Blues.

It's obvious what you get with Porter. Incredible 2-way player who will always take the extra step defensively and give up his body to block a shot (he suffered a stress fracture in his foot last spring and finished the last two months with it broken). And yet, the old "Iron Man" keeps on ticking.

If I was a betting man I'd project Porter to be there on opening night at ScottTrade Center alongside former teammate, T.J. Oshie.

It's time to give some love to one of Thunder Bay's own.