SiouxSports.com Forum

all-time top five

UND92,96

As mentioned in the men's basketball forum, the Sioux Falls Argus Leader has compiled a list of the top five NCC era players at Augie, USD and SDSU. Who would be on such a list for UND? This is extremely tough! I'll say (in no particular order):

Jenny Crouse

Sheri Kleinsasser

Durene Heisler

and here's when it gets really hard.

A really good case could be made for any of the following:

Whitney Meier

Theresa LeCuyer

Tiffany Pudenz

Jaime Pudenz

Kristi Boese

Katie Richards

Ashley Langen

Kierah Kimbrough

Becky Moen

Marisa Leighton

Considering Ashley Langen is going to end up as the all-time second leading scorer, and quite possibly the all-time rebounding leader, can she really be left off? LeCuyer was the national player of the year, but she was only at UND two years (as was Meier). How much more would have Richards and the Pudenz sisters have scored had they not been on teams with so many great players? I honestly can't come up with a list of just five.

As mentioned in the men's basketball forum, the Sioux Falls Argus Leader has compiled a list of the top five NCC era players at Augie, USD and SDSU. Who would be on such a list for UND? This is extremely tough! I'll say (in no particular order):

Jenny Crouse

Sheri Kleinsasser

Durene Heisler

Whitney Meier

Theresa LeCuyer

Tiffany Pudenz

Jaime Pudenz

Kristi Boese

Katie Richards

Ashley Langen

Kierah Kimbrough

Becky Moen

Marisa Leighton

Considering Ashley Langen is going to end up as the all-time second leading scorer, and quite possibly the all-time rebounding leader, can she really be left off? LeCuyer was the national player of the year, but she was only at UND two years (as was Meier). How much more would have Richards and the Pudenz sisters have scored had they not been on teams with so many great players? I honestly can't come up with a list of just five.

I'll go this way, not so much 1 through 5, just my 5 best;

Heisler

Crouse

Kleinsasser

J. Pudenz

Ashley Langen

There have been some great ones!!!

Jenny Crouse

Sheri Kleinsasser

Durene Heisler

Whitney Meier

Theresa LeCuyer

Tiffany Pudenz

Jaime Pudenz

Kristi Boese

Katie Richards

Ashley Langen

Kierah Kimbrough

Becky Moen

Marisa Leighton

Considering Kimbrough has a year left..(without the other great player inside) and doesn't get to play D-II next year and will presumably match or pass some of these other fine players..can she really be left off?? I personally think this is a dumb topic...comparing apples to oranges...different offenses...different defenses...different teams...(assists, how they were played, etc) UND has been blessed by the WBB angel!

Mandy Arndston likely would have been in top 5 if not for the injuries. She dominated as a freshman in almost every aspect. She was a great rebounder, nose for the ball and a great 3 point shooter. Never did fully recover after that first knee injury.

Another player that should be mentioned is Kami Winger, just overshadowed by Crouse. Great rebounder, athletic post. She saved the Sioux countless times when Crouse was in foul trouble (which was often in the early years). Often she was a better matchup against other teams and would absolutely dominate the paint physically. She was actually more developed early in their careers than Crouse also.

That testimonial should be worth a free round at Overtime, shouldn't it? :lol:

I wouldn't include LeCuyer, that Player of the Year award was a joke. Good player, but not at the level of the others being mentioned. That POY award was related to being the top scorer on the Sioux who were dominating D II at the time.

Mandy Arndston likely would have been in top 5 if not for the injuries. She dominated as a freshman in almost every aspect. She was a great rebounder, nose for the ball and a great 3 point shooter. Never did fully recover after that first knee injury.

Another player that should be mentioned is Kami Winger, just overshadowed by Crouse. Great rebounder, athletic post. She saved the Sioux countless times when Crouse was in foul trouble (which was often in the early years). Often she was a better matchup against other teams and would absolutely dominate the paint physically. She was actually more developed early in their careers than Crouse also.

That testimonial should be worth a free round at Overtime, shouldn't it? :lol:

I wouldn't include LeCuyer, that Player of the Year award was a joke. Good player, but not at the level of the others being mentioned. That POY award was related to being the top scorer on the Sioux who were dominating D II at the time.

I agree that Mandy would have been right up there but for the injury. UND really had a nice run of players in that mold for awhile there--5'11" to 6'0" who could play inside and outside, e.g. Richards, Arndtson, Leighton and Boese.

Winger was one of the best rebounders ever at UND, but probably didn't have the offensive game to be considered in the top 10, IMO.

LeCuyer didn't really have the stats to have warranted the national POY, but the fact that she's one of the very few UND players ever to score 1000 points over a two-year stretch probably is enough to at least put her into the conversation for top five. I wouldn't actually include her in the top five, but a case probably could be made.