SiouxSports.com Forum

Commit to the Indian

larsensa

Make sure to click on Read All Comments at the end of this article on the Chicago Tribune's website. Some familiar comments are being made. I am actually surprised the Hawks are considering this phrase for marketing. I don't even really like it but it is catching on I guess. Maybe UND should pick this pharse up too! I am sure the NCANazis would approve this one!! :-)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-08...1,3455398.story

Savard rant produces a marketing dream

'Commit to the Indian' catches on with fans

By Chris Kuc

Tribune staff reporter

11:18 PM CST, January 27, 2008

ATLANTA

"Commit to the Indian" has caught the eye and ear of one of the Blackhawks' chiefs.

The phrase, uttered by Hawks coach Denis Savard during his postgame rant Thursday night, has popped up on T-shirts. Its popularity has made team President John McDonough take notice.

"It's amazing how much life it's got," McDonough said Sunday. "I'm getting e-mails from all over the place."

McDonough, a marketing whiz who rarely bypasses a chance to capitalize on a hot idea, said the team had had no discussions about adopting the phrase. But he didn't rule it out, saying:

"We'll talk about it internally. It's interesting to see all the life it's getting for something [savard] said extemporaneously. Generally that's how these things grow. Somebody will say something off the cuff and spontaneously, and the next thing you know it takes off. I'm a big believer there's genius in brevity."

McDonough said the team had not authorized the T-shirts being sold. While they don't feature the Hawks' Indian head logo, they come close with four feathers in the team's colors.

The Hawks' current slogan is "Red Rising," but "Commit to the Indian" seems to have struck a chord.

"It's gotten a great deal of interest," McDonough said. "We're very much aware it's in the media and that it's caught fire."

McDonough also said the location and dates for a fan convention could be announced this week. The event is to be called Blackhawks Convention and will be in July.

Copyright

Make sure to click on Read All Comments at the end of this article on the Chicago Tribune's website. Some familiar comments are being made. I am actually surprised the Hawks are considering this phrase for marketing. I don't even really like it but it is catching on I guess. Maybe UND should pick this pharse up too! I am sure the NCANazis would approve this one!! :-)

Here are a few other links I posted the other day....

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...&start=2629

FYI: Toews is getting plenty of ROY support. I don't know what his personality was like in college, but he seems fairly quiet here. Kane gets far more interviews, etc.

BTW, I did look at the comments: I'm suprised an expert in Constitutional law and freedom of speech issues hasn't advocated drawing and quartering anyone who dares to wear the t-shirt. :angry: And of course, we'll need to sew Denis Savard's mouth shut.

This was predictible; the only suprise was that the backlash took so long.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/7645...carol29.article

I simply LOVE the condescending attitude here....

(Joe Podlasek, executive director of the American Indian Center said) ''I can't speak for what (The Blackhawks) logo means to them, but as a representation of our people, it feeds into other stereotypical things. These kind of symbols went out with every other race and culture a long time ago.''

This is the moment where someone invariably asks, ''What about Notre Dame's leprechaun?'' Let's just call it the exception that underscores the truth of Podlasek's comment.

Ah yes, Notre Dame doesn't count. And why would that be? And the Irish are the ONLY exception?

Please. :angry: