SiouxSports.com Forum

No more booing?

PCM

From the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Booing at games may be banned

Will decision make you cheer or jeer?

The organization that oversees high school sports in Washington is considering rules for fans that could ban booing and offensive chants.

"They're kidding, right?" asked Rainier Beach High School boys basketball coach Mike Bethea, who played as a student at Franklin High School. "I can see stopping someone if they're saying derogatory remarks, but not letting people boo? Come on."

The sportsmanship guidelines are meant to address the dwindling number of people who want to be coaches and officials. Association officials also say they remind fans to cheer for their team, and not against the other.

"I don't know why people think it's acceptable to boo in the first place," WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese said. "It's a pretty novel concept to me."

"Booing is part of the game," he said. "That's what gets people hyped up and changes the momentum of a game. If they won't let people boo at a basketball game, what's next?"

It won't be long before one team won't be allowed to win because it will make the other team feel bad. ;)

Maybe we should stop keeping score so everyones a winner! :lol:

BBBBBOOOOO!!!!!!

There are so many ways we are already there, or at least on the doorstep, and most don't know about them because the methods have been less in your face than a "Boo Ban".

Even if the scoreboard is blank, the kids ARE keeping score, as well as most of the parents.