SiouxSports.com Forum

New SBofHE Appointee

HockeyMom

http://www.UND.nodak.edu/org/bridges/resolutions.html

February 16, 1999

Dr. Kendall Baker, President

University of North Dakota

Dear Dr. Baker,

I hope the New Year has brought you many successes at UND as I am certain your office has as many challenges. As Chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, I have learned of some very interesting and troubling developments at your fine university. The matter I speak of is the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and mascot at UND. As you know we have taken three specific actions in the recent years regarding this matter as a government representing well over 10,000 members. The purpose of this letter is to respectfully remind your office and any other entities. Directly or indirectly associated with UND of our position. It is of course very simple and very clear, "Eliminate and stop the use of the 'Fighting Sioux' nickname and caricature today."

President Baker, while I understand the word tradition is used as rationale to continue the use of the nickname, our people find it very offensive and disrespectful to say the least. This fact alone should compel those fine and respectful people at UND to find am ore suitable nickname for such a fine institution as the University of North Dakota. Furthermore, I have learned a prominent political figure and UND alumnus has stated that continued use of the Sioux nickname would keep our people from being isolated. Such views about our people and our capabilities or inabilities in his mind, will only perpetuate the ridiculous stereotypes that exist about American Indians in the United State as we enter a new century. Again, this type of ignorance demonstrates if not borders complete lack of respect for our people. Dr. Baker, it is well past the time to allow for any race of people to be used as a nickname or caricature for any reason. Respectfully, we ask your institution to hear our call to stop the use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname immediately. IT is most unfortunate that matters have escalated to episodes where racial slurs and related acts have been reported to my office stemming form the Sioux nickname used by UND. Again, the elimination of the nickname would result in the elimination of such dehumanizing acts that I understand are a regular occurrence at UND athletic events. To subject our People, Students and their Children to such acts at UND are uncalled for and will not be tolerated.

Finally I understand in a letter dated February 8, 1999 to Mr. Earl Strinden, North Dakota Alumni Association from Mr. Clarence Skye, Executive Director, United Sioux Tribes of South Dakota ha led some to believe that the use of the Sioux nickname is not opposed by Sioux Tribes in South Dakota. Please understand that this is first of all NOT TRUE, and secondly, Mr. Clarence Skye does not speak for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe on this matter as some may have been led to believe upon reading the letter to Mr. Strinden. The actions taken by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe are simply of the contrary and call for the "Fighting Sioux" nickname to be discontinued for use by the University of North Dakota. In closing, President Baker, I hope our position is understood in that our respect for UND remains, only the nickname and mascot is challenged as it challenges our People, our History, our Culture, and our Generations to come. Our support and prayers continue with those students and other supporters at UND who seek to see the Sioux nickname eliminated at UND and at any other institutions who choose to use human beings as their Nicknames, Mascots, or Caricatures.

Sincerely,

Charles W. Murphy, Chairman

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe