SiouxSports.com Forum

bizarre coaching decision

UND92,96

Did anybody else catch the end of the I-AA semi-final game between Texas State and Northern Iowa last night? With the score tied at 37, Texas State got the ball at its own 25 with 1:17 to go, with the wind, playing at home, and with all three timeouts remaining. Their offense had obviously done quite well to that point, having scored 37 points. Instead of trying to get into field goal range for the potential game-winning points, their coach elected to take a knee three times and play for overtime. The home crowd and many of the Texas State players were apparently in disbelief that he wouldn't even try to go for the win under those circumstances. Of course, Northern Iowa then went on to win in overtime. This was one of the strangest coaching decisions I've ever seen.

Did anybody else catch the end of the I-AA semi-final game between Texas State and Northern Iowa last night? With the score tied at 37, Texas State got the ball at its own 25 with 1:17 to go, with the wind, playing at home, and with all three timeouts remaining. Their offense had obviously done quite well to that point, having scored 37 points. Instead of trying to get into field goal range for the potential game-winning points, their coach elected to take a knee three times and play for overtime. The home crowd and many of the Texas State players were apparently in disbelief that he wouldn't even try to go for the win under those circumstances. Of course, Northern Iowa then went on to win in overtime. This was one of the strangest coaching decisions I've ever seen.

Missed the game (I was stuck in an airport) but the fans/players seemed to be pretty upset at the decision,

there is a ~600 post thread on the game if you want to gauge other fan reaction (some light reading ;) )

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6242