SiouxSports.com Forum

The WCHA... beyond the standings

Jackson

While the standings reflect the number of points accrued in league play it is not always an indicator of how a team is playing and where we can expect them to end up. I think a better way of reflecting the standings is to group teams into tiers. So here goes.

Tier 1. CC and Denver. Both of these teams have played and beat quality opponents on the road and have also for the most part beat the teams they are supposed to. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see one or both atthe Frozen Four.

Tier 2. Minnesota and Wisconsin. Minnesota has played and beat good teams at home and on the road but has also struggled, specifically the CC and worse MTU sweep at home. Wisconsin has a nice, pretty record but hasn't played the caliber of teams those grouped by them have. They also lose in the pairwise and more importantly the head to head when compared to Minnesota.

Tier 3. Nodak and Duluth. Most people myself included had these two teams at the top of the league in their preseason predictions. Due to a number of factors both teams have struggled to meet expectations. However, there is a lot of talent up and down both rosters and could be trouble in the playoffs if they get hot.

Tier 4. Michigan Tech. While their record is terrible they have put together a sustained run of quality play against quality competition on the road no less. Could be a spoiler in the WCHA first round.

Tier 5. Mankato, St Cloud, and Anchorage. Anyone can beat anyone an any given night blah blah blah. It would give me great pleasure to see Tech finish above Jan Brady :silly:

I would probably put WI in the top tier. They are a very solid team, although they are a bit young.

Here is the scariest thing about WI WI ROSTER

There leading scoring Sr is Bruckler :silly: They should be the team to beat the next few years in the WCHA.

It is nice to see Tech doing well. There is a lot of history in that program.