SiouxSports.com Forum

Brennan brothers

schmidtdoggydog

Brennans keep battling

By Jeff Kolpack,The Forum

Published Friday, December 03, 2004

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- The University of North Dakota football team heads to Kansas today with a couple of Brennan brothers who share everything from school to injuries.

Junior noseguard Ross Brennan and sophomore linebacker Steve Brennan are continuing a football/school combination that began as kids in West Fargo.

"It's nice to have him around to share in my memories," Ross said.

There's been a lot to share this season. The Sioux (11-2) play at Pittsburg State on Saturday in the NCAA Division II semifinals.

It will be a particularly tough test for the Sioux defense, which will try to slow down a Pittsburg offense that has been one of the most prolific in college football history.

"Hopefully we'll be able to stop the run and make them a one dimensional team," Steve said. "That's what we try to do every week."

Every week has been a battle for the Brennans. Steve broke a bone in his hand earlier this year and is playing with a cast. Ross broke a bone in his foot during fall practice and has been trying to play through it ever since. He's played in just five games.

At least as roommates, together they have enough healthy limbs -- Ross' arms and Steve's legs.

"That's how we get by," Steve said.

But they don't talk about it. It's the one topic that is off limits around the house.

"It's funny, we hash out the games at home a lot," Ross said outside the team's locker room. "We probably talk more about football there than we do here."

Ross was a highly recruited defensive lineman/fullback who was the 1999 North Dakota Class 3A senior player of the year.

After a redshirt season, he started the first five games of 2001 before a knee injury ended his year. He played in nine of xx games last year recording 38 tackles.

He sat out last year to rehabilitate the 2001 injury that he said never did fully heal.

"I played through it in 2002 but it seemed like I couldn't play to my full capabilities," he said.

Steve is putting together a solid season as the backup to outside linebacker Brook Maier. Steve has 29 tackles -- five for lost yardage -- and one quarterback sack.

"He's really come around," Ross said. "He's getting better every game. He's always been a good player but I think he's turned into a great player."