SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. UAA Pre-Game Talk

PCM

I thought this quote from the USCHO game recap was on the money:

"If you look at how many of those [45]shots were quality chances, there weren't that many," said Tiger Colin Stuart. "We didn't get to the net enough."

CC appeared to depend a great deal on its defenseman firing shots from near the blue line. They did that a lot. As Woog and Frank noted, many of those shots were missing everything but the glass.

Most of the shots that got through, King saw all the way and had no trouble stopping. When he gave up rebounds, either UAA did a good of clearing the puck or CC had nobody in position to pick them up.

The good news for UND is that they don't rely heavily on their defenseman to shoot from the blue line. They are much better at pinching in and taking advantage of opportunities as they present themselves. (In today's Herald, Virg Foss notes the Nick Fuher is UND's leading scorer over the last five games. :silly: )

Does King have another amazing game left in him? If so, can the Sioux avoid becoming as frustrated as CC did? The second game against MTU might have been good practice for the Sioux going into the UAA game. It showed them that if they're patient and play hard, good things will happen.

After the MTU series, Blais said he wasn't at all concerned about the Sioux offensively. His main concern was with defensive lapses and bad turnovers in the Sioux zone. UAA showed that it is a very opportunistic team. The Seawolves will be waiting to pounce on UND's mistakes and turn them into goals. The Sioux will have to play very well in their own end.

My final concern is about officiating. Will we see another game in which the Sioux are hooked, held, slashed, high-sticked and dragged down as they were in the second game in Grand Forks? Will my mother have to give Bruce McLeod and Greg Shepherd a good scolding -- again?

I could be wrong, but it appeared to me that UAA was getting away with a lot of that type of play in the third period last night.

My prediction: Chris King proves human, the tired Cinderella Seawolves crash back to earth and the Sioux win 7-1.

Not that it matters, but every non-Sioux fan in the building will be cheering for UAA. Per usual, the UND fans on the jumbotron earned the loudest booes from the Gopher faithful last night...but we're not their biggest rival. :silly:

What a bunch of BS that is...the Sioux ARE the biggest rival of UMN.....a good indicator is how many posts on POI pertain to the Sioux or Sioux players. Triple UW.....Count em up for yourself. We don't know if we will be playing the Gophers yet (Saturday) and half of the discussion on POI pertains to Sioux players and the team.

Everyone wants a piece of #1...guns for the top dog...I guess the Sioux fans are used to being booed which is fine........