SiouxSports.com Forum

2002 Schedule

TheSiouxFan

taken from fightingsioux.com

2002 University of North Dakota Football Schedule (All times Central)

DATE OPPONENT SITE TIME

Thu., Aug. 29 UM-CROOKSTON Grand Forks TBA

Sat., Sept. 7 CENTRAL WASHINGTON Grand Forks TBA

Sat., Sept. 14 MESA STATE (CO) Grand Forks TBA

Sat., Sept. 21 at Northern Colorado Greeley, Colo. 1 p.m.

Sat., Sept. 28 Open date

Sat., Oct. 5 at South Dakota State Brookings, S.D. TBA

Sat., Oct. 12 at North Dakota State Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat. Oct. 19 ST. CLOUD STATE (Homecoming) Grand Forks TBA

Sat. Oct. 26 at Nebraska-Omaha Omaha, Neb. 1 p.m.

Sat. Nov. 2 MSU, MANKATO Grand Forks TBA

Sat. Nov. 9 at Augustana Sioux Falls, S.D. Noon

Sat. Nov. 16 SOUTH DAKOTA Grand Forks TBA

Schedule and game times subject to change

This schedule is much better than it could have been. As I stated in a previous post, filling out the schedule has got to be a nightmare for North Dakota. With the success of last years team and the national reputation of crowd support and noise at the Alerus by Fighting Sioux Fans, a great monster has been created. (Who wants to bring in a team to be playing in front of thousands of loud and boistrous Sioux fans? It is a great problem to have though.) Don't think that the rest of D2, did not notice the crowd support the Sioux enjoyed, especially during the play-offs. I only have one question. What the #### happened to the New Haven game?

DATE OPPONENT SITE TIME

Sat., Sept. 28 Open date

I don't really mind this schedule! I like the fact that the Sioux get the non conference games out of the way first!

This years schedule is very tough in the conference. You play NDSU, Augustana, UNO, SDSU and UNC on the road.

Then you play the three worst teams at home. Besides UNO, they get all of their hard games out of the way, which is good!

Can't wait for next season!

Hopefully, a Sioux victory at Omaha, will be the beginning of the annual season ending unravelling of the Mavericks. Omaha has alot of talent, however, the team and it's coaching staff have absolutely NO discipline. I still see UNC as a force to be reckoned with in the conference. They have great receivers in Carroll, Jenkins and Nelson. Their defense was inconsistent last year but played well at the Alerus. I think gettimg scsu at home, will be a plus. Their passing game can be formidable if not overwhelming at times. Heckendorf is only a junior. He will continue to put up big numbers under Hedberg. Scott Underwood, will continue with his construction of the defense for scsu.

I agree, Omaha is pretty undisciplined, flicking off the Sioux crowd after the loss is pretty classless.  The 2001 team had great team chemistry and the crowds at the Alerus was amazing, especially the UC-Davis game.  I think the Sioux will do a good job next year, the team will lose some key seniors but none really stood out above the rest.  It was just an overall great team effort.

Remembering Pat Behrns as both an assistant and head coach at North Dakota, he was aloof and secretive. He was also dishonest with players, their parents, the media, the administration and fans. It appears things haven't changed at all with coach Behrns. He has no control over his assistants(they were a part of the demonstration at the Alerus), or his players. Abriam Stovall, gets kicked out of the playoff game against ndsu in 2000, and then against Pitt State in 2001. The disturbing thing to me is why it took so long for the officials to do so in the Pitt State game. Behrns took no responsibility and showed no moxie by saying he did not want to take the senior out of his last game. This was after Behrns had removed Stovall following a warning by on field officials. What did ' Behrnsie' do ,put Stovall back in the game where Stovall started a fight and subsequently was ejected. Neither coach nor team has any character, and the team motto is "the first two whistles don't count". North Dakota owes Omaha big. I hope this is the year we do it. As far as season ticket sales are concerned, everyone that I know is renewing. Given the attendance figures last year as well as fan interest and talk within the community and across the country, I would say sales will equal and surpass last year. Spring ball starts soon and it will be interesting to see how many people attend the spring game. That could be a guage to see what sales will be like. I will be interested to find out who the o-line will be.(A young group, but remember, when this years seniors were sophomores, they went to the play-offs and lost to the eventual National Champs, in O.T.) Also, who will be in the mix as far as running-backs. What impact will the redshirts have. How will Brennan, Hermes, Miller and Nelson do following their injuries of last year. Who will be next years Stars?

DATE OPPONENT SITE TIME

Sat., Sept. 28 Open date

Wow, starting off going to UNC, SDSU and NDSU won't be easy!

How does the rest of the NCC look?

I can't wait for next season!