SiouxSports.com Forum

Pilot with UND ties killed at Oshkosh

PCM

Word of pilot's death hitting home in Wahpeton, ND

Investigation under way by NTSB; may take up to a year

The love of flying was the thing that took Gerald S. Beck out of the classroom at the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks and into the skies as a crop duster.

Beck was killed Friday afternoon in a fiery crash when two P-51 Mustang airplanes were landing on the north-south runway at Wittman Regional Airport in a pre-airshow performance of the Reno Racers. The pilot of the other plane, Casey Odegaard, 24, of Kindred, N.D., an acquaintance of Beck's, walked away from the crash with minor injuries.

Beck's friend and employee, Jay Schimelfenig in Beck's hometown of Wahpeton, N.D., population about 8,000, said Beck left teaching years ago in favor of crop dusting. "He loved to fly; this was an easy way to do it."

A pilot describes how the accident happened in this article from the Fond du Lac Reporter. Here's the Forum's story.

I didn't know Beck, but I certainly admired his work in building and restoring warbirds. My heart goes out to his family and all those who knew him. Last month, I took photos during the air show in Fargo of what I believe were both Mustangs involved in the Oshkosh crash.

P-51A_02.jpg

Beck's P-51A

P-51D.jpg

Odegaard's P-51D

Edited by PCM

I knew Gerry. Not to the point where he would remember me, but I had many experiences with him. I helped him for about 2 hours to work on that plane he crashed in. I helped him on a few other projects as well. I also flew with him once. Probably a grand total of about 10 hours spent with the man, but in those 10 hours, i learned alot. He was a great man, always willing to talk, and always had something to teach. He also was a great World War II aircraft restorer, and over the 2 years I was at UND i saw him finish 3 P-51 Mustangs. Thats a pretty large feat. There are approximately 15-20 aircraft in the U.S. and Canada right now that were build or restored by him and his shop in Wahpeton. Please, everyone keep Gerry's family in your prayers.