SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Are you serious??, the Whalers Unis have got to be one of top "sweaters" of all time in the NHL. The old-school canucks on the other hand had a terrible logo, and that was nothing to do with the colors. MHO

Go Dogs!

The new nickname if the Fighting Sioux logo is dropped will not be SUNDOGs... There is no chance of that happening.

To preface this post, I still hope the Fighting Sioux name will live on, but I doubt it.

If the name is to change, we will all be throwing out ideas for a new name, as some of us already have. Where does it go from there??

Possible..

All of these ideas will go to some "naming" committee of which a short list is created and given to an executive group and that group makes the decision?

This is the process that I see that would leave Cavalry off and some dumbass name like Sundogs on a short list.

If the name is to change, Siouxsports needs to get behind a couple of good solid names that can be included in a short list.

Predators would be an interesting nickname, with the UAV's being part of UND and the area.

I actually really like that nickname. Yes, I do know there are the Nashville Predators, but it's almost impossible to come up with a good nickname that also isn't already taken.

Where does UND go with the nickname though?

I actually really like that nickname. Yes, I do know there are the Nashville Predators, but it's almost impossible to come up with a good nickname that also isn't already taken.

Where does UND go with the nickname though?

I agree, Predators has some possibilities. It is still pretty unique even if Nashville uses it. Remember, nobody in the country watches hockey anyway. :D You could either stay with an aviation theme with the drones becoming a big part of aviation in the area; or you could go with more of a hunter theme, the teams hunting down their prey.

If we can't obtain all 3 Sioux tribes' approval (for 30 years) then we are required to change the name. Does the NCAA say we must change the name and logo or can we just change the name and keep the logo? What if UND would get approval from the Turtle Mountain reservation to use the name Chippewa for 30 years or more, why can't we do that?

Or, what about a generic name like "Warriors"?

The administration and/or SBOHE would probably like to get rid of anything that relates to the use of Native American names and/or imagery. But if they were o.k. with a 30 year agreement from the Sioux tribes, why would they not be o.k. with a 30 year agreement with Turtle Mountain? I'm not saying that Turtle Mountain would agree to it, but if they did, could this be an option?

Does the NCAA explicity state we cannot change the name to a different tribe's name?

I'm asking this as a serious question. I'm tired of the whole name thing and would like resolution to it also one way or another. I understand that not changing the logo would probably keep this battle going on forever. But, ignoring all the negative arguments for keeping the logo, is using Chippewa an option if the Turtle Mountain tribe approved it based on the stipulations set forth by the NCAA?

If we can't obtain all 3 Sioux tribes' approval (for 30 years) then we are required to change the name. Does the NCAA say we must change the name and logo or can we just change the name and keep the logo? What if UND would get approval from the Turtle Mountain reservation to use the name Chippewa for 30 years or more, why can't we do that?

The administration and/or SBOHE would probably like to get rid of anything that relates to the use of Native American names and/or imagery. But if they were o.k. with a 30 year agreement from the Sioux tribes, why would they not be o.k. with a 30 year agreement with Turtle Mountain? I'm not saying that Turtle Mountain would agree to it, but if they did, could this be an option?

Does the NCAA explicity state we cannot change the name to a different tribe's name?

I'm asking this as a serious question. I'm tired of the whole name thing and would like resolution to it also one way or another. I understand that not changing the logo would probably keep this battle going on forever. But, ignoring all the negative arguments for keeping the logo, is using Chippewa an option if the Turtle Mountain tribe approved it based on the stipulations set forth by the NCAA?

For the record it is 2 tribes, not 3 tribes. We are required to change both the nickname and the related imagery (aka the logo). Approval of the Warriors depends on the logo that went with it, I believe...but they would still have problems with that....if agreement could come from the Chippewa, then it might be considered. I believe from what I heard from higher ups at UND that if the Sioux name goes, the new nickname would not have anything to do with any relating to the human nature.

As far as the Administration being "sissy nannys", please understand people that Kelley is in charge of running a University. His main focus is on keeping EVERYONE in an environment where the focus is on learning and not on the nickname..I have discussed nicknames and traditions with both Kelley and Faison, both of them understand the traditions around the nickname and what to focus on that as well. I have full faith in both of them to lead our University in a way that will help us both in the short term and the long run.

siouxforeverbaby is correct. The issue is Native American imagery and representation. The NCAA originally outlawed anything related to Native Americans, including names, logos and other traditions. When schools started fighting the issue the NCAA quickly changed the requirements to allow tribal approval. The NCAA didn't just single out UND and the Fighting Sioux nickname. All tribal names, and names like Warriors and Braves, were outlawed. Schools with nicknames like Warriors and Braves had no chance to keep any Native imagery. Almost all of them changed their nicknames. I think their were a couple that changed imagery. I seem to remember 1 school that just had a couple of feathers as part of the logo on their football helmets, the feathers had to be removed. So the only chance to keep using the logo is if the Fighting Sioux name can be saved when approved by the 2 main Sioux tribes in the state.

The Chippewa option has been discussed. But at this point it is probably too late to even think about chasing that option. It is going to be Fighting Sioux or something else that is non-native related.

siouxforeverbaby is correct. The issue is Native American imagery and representation. The NCAA originally outlawed anything related to Native Americans, including names, logos and other traditions. When schools started fighting the issue the NCAA quickly changed the requirements to allow tribal approval. The NCAA didn't just single out UND and the Fighting Sioux nickname. All tribal names, and names like Warriors and Braves, were outlawed. Schools with nicknames like Warriors and Braves had no chance to keep any Native imagery. Almost all of them changed their nicknames. I think their were a couple that changed imagery. I seem to remember 1 school that just had a couple of feathers as part of the logo on their football helmets, the feathers had to be removed. So the only chance to keep using the logo is if the Fighting Sioux name can be saved when approved by the 2 main Sioux tribes in the state.

The Chippewa option has been discussed. But at this point it is probably too late to even think about chasing that option. It is going to be Fighting Sioux or something else that is non-native related.

William and Mary IIRC was the school that had the two feathers. They argued that the feathers weren't even NA in nature, but the NCAA argued that, though that may be, Eagle feathers have NA significance.

I'm waiting for the BC Eagles (all other Eagles college teams), the NDSU Bison (and all other teams named Bison), etc. to have to change their names because of their significance to the NAs.

The Fighting Ojibwe would be an awesome nickname, one we could keep the colors and the logo (the logo was drawn by an Ojibwe artist).

However, it would be a bad PR move to move from one NA nickname to another as it would require getting approval from those tribes as well.

The nickname change would not get us off the list.

I say still go with Fighting Cavalry or, second best, Predators.

Predators would be an interesting nickname, with the UAV's being part of UND and the area.

We've (OK, I've) covered this already:

The next generation UAV is the Reaper.

Be sure to read from there down about five more posts for how to use it (and of course the obligatory "what if" problem that every name will have).

We've (OK, I've) covered this already:

The next generation UAV is the Reaper.

Be sure to read from there down about five more posts for how to use it (and of course the obligatory "what if" problem that every name will have).

I can hear the song "Don't Fear the Reapers" being played at every away game. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My idea from the beginning (other than keeping Sioux) is to sell the rights to our name.

North Dakota Coca-Cola's

North Dakota Dodge Rams

North Dakota Waste Managements

North Dakota Jim Beams

Just think, instead of us paying to keep a nickname, we'd get paid to wear one.

My idea from the beginning (other than keeping Sioux) is to sell the rights to our name.

North Dakota Coca-Cola's

North Dakota Dodge Rams

North Dakota Waste Managements

North Dakota Jim Beams

Just think, instead of us paying to keep a nickname, we'd get paid to wear one.

Hmmm...I wonder if USC gets any kickback from their nickname :)