SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

I still do not get why more people can not get behind the name Cavalry. I just think that it would be a very good nickname, if we would lose are current one.

Fighting Sioux forever!!!1

The P.C. Zealots would not support the name.

Maybe, but the head PC Zealot is 6 feet deep in this case.

As long as there are no overt references to Native Americans in the logo, mascot (if we have one), or nickname, there's nothing the NCAA can do.

Of course, Goon is right. Fighting Cavalry is the best alternative nickname I've heard, but it would undoubtedly be seen as a stance against the NA population as the Cavalry were some of the main forces behind the relocation and oppression of NA people back in the 19th Century.

Since the NA leadership lives in the past, it would certainly spell disaster on a PR front.

RHHiT should lay some stinky brown bricks.

And, I admit, I love that nickname idea.

How 'bout something real simple, like "Athletes". I based it off of "Athletics", which is a common generic nickname for many clubs...mostly baseball in which I've encountered.

1) It would allow the university to market itself mainly as "North Dakota" while still having a formal nickname to fallback on for revenue reasons.

2) It's unique

3) No gender bias, no silly animal, no stereotype, it's plural (don't care for nicknames such as "Magic" or "Green Wave")

4) Allows for abbreviation of "A's" (yes, I know of the Oakland A's) for logo and other reasons

1) It's uninspiring nor great sounding

2) Not very intimidating or "special" like Sioux is (but what could be?)

All-in-all, it's not my favorite, but I'm just speaking with an open-mind.

I do like the "Frontier" idea, or some sort of spin off of it, without being another "Pioneers."

Why is it not a good nickname, who would complain about something to do with the military? If people would seriously bitch. That would blew me away.

Ok lets change the name to the Waterboarders. Now that I can see people complaining about.

Why is it not a good nickname, who would complain about something to do with the military? If people would seriously bitch. That would blew me away.

Ok lets change the name to the Waterboarders. Now that I can see people complaining about.

Uh.... Custer?

The Cavalry, at one point, had free reign to hunt Native Americans.

Like I said, since the NA Activists and PC Zealots live in the past, they wouldn't see this as honoring our military. They'd see it as retribution for the loss of the nickname.

Cavalry would be a fine nickname in most cases. However, in this case many people would think that going from Sioux to Cavalry would look like an insult to the tribes. Who did the Sioux fight wars with? The Cavalry. And the Cavalry forced the tribes onto the reservations. It would potentially be bad public relations to change the name from Sioux to Cavalry.

My issue with Cavalry as a nickname is a little different. The normal colors of the real Cavalry are blue and gold. I don't see UND changing colors if they have to change the nickname. I don't know if I can see a green and white Cavalry.

Who did the Sioux fight wars with? The Cavalry. And the Cavalry forced the tribes onto the reservations. It would potentially be bad public relations to change the name from Sioux to Cavalry.

It was the 7th Cav. I don't think they anti logo folks would like this one they would probably think it's a thumb in the eye.

Cavalry would be a fine nickname in most cases. However, in this case many people would think that going from Sioux to Cavalry would look like an insult to the tribes. Who did the Sioux fight wars with? The Cavalry. And the Cavalry forced the tribes onto the reservations. It would potentially be bad public relations to change the name from Sioux to Cavalry.

Willing to bet the vast majority of tribal voters would have no problem with Cavalry: after all, even today, Sioux people sign up in disproportionally high numbers to join the Army.

People opposed to the Sioux nickname (of any ethnicity) are the ones likely to be opposed to Cavalry: too "violent" and "warlike" in their view. Cavalry really isn't any different than Roughriders.

It was the 7th Cav. I don't think they anti logo folks would like this one they would probably think it's a thumb in the eye.

This explains Custer... their song is an Irish Drinking Song. Oh dear Lord.

And I like the Fighting Cavalry. We can be the Cav for short.

Everyone will play our ditty at sporting events (Dadada Da duh DAH! CHAAAARGE!) ;)

Did we get a charging penalty? We can say that they got "Cav'd" :p

And I understand the color change thing.

It would be quite a change, but it would also be a clean separation. We wouldn't have to make a full color change. I know the Cavalry's colors are blue and gold, but why not just modify it to be the same Blue but a white instead?

I know I've spoken against Cavalry but only because I abhor giving those whiney activists something more to whine about. Remember: After they win this battle (which they have all but won already), they're going to want to find a new battle to fight. After all, activists without a cause are just meandering crazies. Let them dream one up and let's not just hand them one.

I don't know. Even with my doubts, I'd still support Fighting Cavalry.

Willing to bet the vast majority of tribal voters would have no problem with Cavalry: after all, even today, Sioux people sign up in disproportionally high numbers to join the Army.

People opposed to the Sioux nickname (of any ethnicity) are the ones likely to be opposed to Cavalry: too "violent" and "warlike" in their view. Cavalry really isn't any different than Roughriders.

I didn't say it would be tribe members that would have a problem with Cavalry. It would be the same group that is against the Fighting Sioux nickname. Going from Sioux to Cavalry would look like spite, or an attack on the Native Americans to that group opposing the Sioux nickname. They are the ones that would cause the PR problems. We have already seen what kind of PR noise they can make. My prediction is that UND would avoid that possibility.

Roughriders are somewhat different from Cavalry because they are usually associated with Teddy Roosevelt and the Cuban-American War. The Roughriders were fighting the Cubans, not the Indians. The Roughriders were from all over the West, and are mainly associated with North Dakota because of Roosevelt. My beef with that name is the fact that Red River High School is already using it in town. I think UND would want a unique name, at least in this area.

My beef with that name is the fact that Red River High School is already using it in town. I think UND would want a unique name, at least in this area.

The average student at UND doesn't even know RRHS has roughriders as the nickname, nor do 99.999% of the people outside of ND. Most flagship universities use their state nickname as their own: why should UND be different. There must be a ton of HS's in Wisconsin with the badger name, or a number of Michigan HS's that are wolverines.

Sorry, but it would be tragically parochial thinking if UND rejected roughriders because RRHS uses it. A more legitimate reason is if another college or pro team already had the name. Granted, the Saskatchewan Roughriders already use it and have roughly the same colors - but since they're CFL it wouldn't affect much. That said, stay with the green and white, use blue as appropriate, and go with Cavalry if the Sioux name is dropped.

The average student at UND doesn't even know RRHS has roughriders as the nickname, nor do 99.999% of the people outside of ND. Most flagship universities use their state nickname as their own: why should UND be different. There must be a ton of HS's in Wisconsin with the badger name, or a number of Michigan HS's that are wolverines.

Sorry, but it would be tragically parochial thinking if UND rejected roughriders because RRHS uses it. A more legitimate reason is if another college or pro team already had the name. Granted, the Saskatchewan Roughriders already use it and have roughly the same colors - but since they're CFL it wouldn't affect much. That said, stay with the green and white, use blue as appropriate, and go with Cavalry if the Sioux name is dropped.

Hard to find.

Perusing through Marc's Collection of High School Mascots and, though it isn't complete at all, all WI high schools referenced are NOT Badgers.

I did find some really awful nicknames though.

Examples:

Blooming Prairie (MN) Awesome Blossums - I hope to hell they're sponsored by Lone Star Steakhouse or whoever...

Colorado (Carbondale, CO to be exact) Rocky Mountain Oysters - WOW.... just... WOW. Do they sell mixed nuts called "Deer Nuts" (instead of Beer nuts)... Popsicles called... no, I can't take it there...

Dunbar (IL) Mightymen

There are the Thunder Chickens the Screaming Penguins (whatever the heck they are)... http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascoths.html

In any case, I did find one MN high school known as the Gophers but most of the high school nicknames represented something locally significant or reflected upon the name of the town/school/culture.

A lot of people that attend games are local, from Grand Forks or the Grand Forks area. Those people do know that Red River is the Roughriders and they have been for more than 40 years. As a matter of fact, I believe that most of the students are still from this region, so the average student probably does know that Red River is the Roughriders. If Bismarck Century or Williston High School was the Roughriders it wouldn't be a problem for me. I just think it is too much Roughrider in too small a space. And if you want UND to use the state nickname you probably would support Flickertails or Peace Gardeners, both also are North Dakota state nicknames. I don't like either one of them.

A lot of people that attend games are local, from Grand Forks or the Grand Forks area. Those people do know that Red River is the Roughriders and they have been for more than 40 years. As a matter of fact, I believe that most of the students are still from this region, so the average student probably does know that Red River is the Roughriders. If Bismarck Century or Williston High School was the Roughriders it wouldn't be a problem for me. I just think it is too much Roughrider in too small a space. And if you want UND to use the state nickname you probably would support Flickertails or Peace Gardeners, both also are North Dakota state nicknames. I don't like either one of them.

Nope.

Automatically disqualified because it's the name first brought up by BRIDGES.

Next, do you know what a sundog is? It's a meterological sign that it is cold and going to get brutally colder. That would be stereotyping of North Dakota weather, and we all know that (as Ron White says) " ... stereotyping is wrong."

UND's nickname will not be SUNDOGS... The person that would suggest this will be shot full of the proverbial holes.

If Cavalry is deemed to be too controversial, how about Northern Rangers or just plain Rangers?

I would prefer Cavalry, but I don't think the power that be are going to go for it. As Goon said, it would look like a poke in the eye to the PC people and nowadays it seems we all have to get along, hold hands and sing songs together.

NO SUNDOGS!!!

Different colors, different teams: Ames has the HS cyclones and ISU cyclones. It's workable. More than 50% of UND students are from out of state: they don't care in the least about RRHS.

But as far as state nicknames, many states have multiple nicknames that are not apppropriate at all for athletic nicknames.. ND is also the Sioux state. That is the nickname I prefer.

UND's nickname is about branding the whole state for a national image, not just merely for local sports fans.