SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Nokotas

GeauxSioux

I too am warming up to the Nakotas nickname, or some variation of it (i.e., Fighting Nakotas, Wild Nakotas, etc.). Question, perhaps the beautiful feathers from the the Sioux indian head logo could be incorporated into the new horse imagery? Would that be deemed as hostile and offensive or would it be considered a subtle tribute? I kinda think it would be a nice touch.

Please no Blizzard, Storm, Flickertails, Prairie Roses!!!

As stated before, let's hope the powers-that-be will learn from the mistakes made by schools who went through this (namely, Marquette) and not make the same ones they did.

No Native American imagery is allowed. No feathers would be allowed in a new logo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. People need to do a little research before they spout out ridiculous comments.

What we today call the Sioux were/are known among the Sioux people as Nakota, Lakota or Dakota. I would think most people that post on this site are college educated and would use that education instead of being hot headed and making comments off the cuff.

http://www.hanksville.org/daniel/lakota/Lakota.html

I love the Fighting Sioux nickname and would prefer it not be retired.

Yes sir...understand the history, just hate the name as a nickname...and yes, some comments are hotheaded and made off the cuff...really disappointed in the way this whole thing was handled/not handled...ok, now breathe deeply and count to 1,000...

The name Nokotas or any other name will be awkward if we have to change our name and logo. Like the Fighting Sioux, the Nokota have a firm root in North Dakota history, as has already been mentioned. I found this video clip that I found interesting. Scroll down the page to the video. Those brothers are to be admired, without a doubt! (I still vote no name or logo for awhile.)

http://nokotahorse.org/cms/

Personally, I have no problem with "Wild Nokotas", although I am really warming up to the idea of being "The Fighting Spirit".

Hmmm, The Fighting Spirit, I can already see and hear the references to Casper. I guess we could have a poltergist as our logo and mascot......